• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

gordonwd

Jun 16, 2010
I got one of the early TPs and was thus one of the first to get the ICS update and have my new tablet bricked. It was a 4-week turnaround, but Asus eventually sent me a brand new unit of a later series, which so far is working just fine on the .13 update.

So after finally using it (again) for a few days, all is forgiven, mainly because while it was away my keyboard-dock arrived and I got to try it out for the first time. I have to say that this piece really transforms the device, and I've pretty much kept it attached around the house.

In the "champagne" color it makes for a very slick-looking package when folded up. Carrying it like that it as good as having a case since it protects the screen. I took it with me to show off to some other aging techies at the coffee shop, and everyone was impressed with the screen, the keyboard, and various things I demoed over the Wifi.

There are only a couple of oddities of using the dock, and I actually haven't read up on some of the details of the special keys, etc. But I did notice this:
  • When you open it, it automatically turns the screen on, but it comes up "live" and does not show the lock scren.
  • The Back key on the dock works just like the one on the screen except that it doesn't cancel the notification panel when it's showing in the lower right corner.
But these are no big deal. The touch pad is semi-useful on some pages, but I usually keep it turned off.

Anyway, I'm really liking this device again and I'm sure in a few weeks I'll have forgotten about the missing month of ownership.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones