• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root setcpu settings

there's no way that the performance setting is running cooler than ondemand...

Since LNL posted the descriptions, let's recap:

performance - Available in most kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the "max" set value at all times. This is a bit more efficient than simply setting "max" and "min" to the same value and using ondemand because the system will not waste resources scanning for the CPU load. This governor is recommended for stable benchmarking.

I can see how this would cause less problems b/c, in the end, you're going all out, and you're not looking around to see what is running - which means trying to split your CPU cycles between what is there and demanding attention and what the kernel is asking for (in terms of CPU Load).

In terms of my CPU in my computer, I have it running the same way. I have mine OC'd from 2.4 to 3.2 GHz, and it is like that whenever the computer is on - No SpeedStep, No C1E Halt commands, no scaling,nothing - it goes 3.2 all the time.

for a 33% OC, you'd think my temps would be sky high, right? Feh.

I haven't broken 55 degrees C on a full load of all 4 cores using OCCT no Prim95 multithreaded. Ever.

I tried enabling C1E in my BIOS before, and I was getting temps spiking up to 62 degrees C on cores 1 and 4, oddly enough - could never figure that out.

Real world experience. Can't shake a stick at it.

Also, just because the CPU is ramped up to max speed doesn't mean it is going to produce excessive heat all the time - if nothing is using CPU cycles, it is going to be effectively doing nothing but killing the battery, waiting for something to be thrown at it so it can sink its fangs in and process.

Upvote 0
In the end it really depends on how you use the phone. If you use primarily for calls it would seem ondemand would suffice?

I may be wrong but seems like the processor ramps up when you first make or receive a call but when the call is actually running you don't need to draw max cpus.
If you are web browsing, gaming, checking email or the like the cpu will be jumping back and forth as you open and scroll through things. Set your settings on ondemand and toggle back and forth between the menus in set cpu. You will find as soon as you go back to the main screen it will be at max and then almost immedialy drop down to the min.

For me if the phone is primarly being used for calls I would set it at ondemand and 900/600 (900 being the max for my kernel).

If I am using it for browsing, gaming primarily I would have it set on perforance and 900/900 so it won't bounce back and forth wasting resources and causing lag.

I don't make or receive a lot of calls during the day so I have mine set on perforamce and max it out. Of course I set the battery charging and screen off profiles to ramp it down but while running it is more efficient for me to just have it at the max. To tell you the truth on the average day the phone just sits in my pocket with the screen off chugging along at 250.

Sound logical?

Upvote 0
I have done a lot of experimenting over the past week with the settings I listed and my phone runs cooler, less lag/jerkiness here and there, and no ill effects on my battery life. I was surprised too as I have quite a few profiles and since I OC'd have been using "ondemand" MOSTLY.

You posted the SetCPU descriptions...read them...the system uses resources with the "ondemand" setting. For me, the phone has 3 basic states: 1) Charging 2) Screen Off 3) Me Using It. There really is no need to waste resources as I am basically MANUALLY setting my CPU to those 3 states (for the most part) with speed differences dependent upon battery life %. Under "ondemand," while one app may only max out my cpu (for example) at 700mhz normally...I'm running it at 1200mhz. But my temps have not increased and everything is smooth as silk and snappy.

Every phone is different, I suggest people experiment with it more. I've been pleasantly surprised so far (crossing fingers).

as the guy that posted them, after your first post, I did read them. the thing that stands out to me for Conservative.... Available in some kernels. How do you know yours is even supporting this? Maybe your getting the results you are as in fact, it is doing nothing? Do you have a kernel that notes this type of function is available within it as the dev is clear at saying "some" and "most"? just curious how you know.

Upvote 0
anyone using using separate charging profiles for AC or USB but have them as same settings, curious as to why when "Charging/Full - Set when the phone is charging from any source and when the battery is full while charging" - this seems to make the USB or AC almost worthless as when would you want a different set of circumstances for USB then AC and if not, then just "Charging/Full" should cover them all.

Upvote 0
as the guy that posted them, after your first post, I did read them. the thing that stands out to me for Conservative.... Available in some kernels. How do you know yours is even supporting this? Maybe your getting the results you are as in fact, it is doing nothing? Do you have a kernel that notes this type of function is available within it as the dev is clear at saying "some" and "most"? just curious how you know.

Because it says so right on the P3 site where I dl'd the kernel.
P3Droid Kernels
:D

Upvote 0
anyone using using separate charging profiles for AC or USB but have them as same settings, curious as to why when "Charging/Full - Set when the phone is charging from any source and when the battery is full while charging" - this seems to make the USB or AC almost worthless as when would you want a different set of circumstances for USB then AC and if not, then just "Charging/Full" should cover them all.

Depends on how you use it. I have 2 different profiles for AC and USB(currently set the same tho for other reasons) just because when my phone is plugged into the wall it is usually overnight and I'm not using it. When it is plugged into my PC via USB I will still use it here and there or have things running on it, etc. If you are just going to plug it into a PC to charge then using the same setting, and keeping it low, would be fine. A lower max/min setting would be better as the USB charge is less(500) compared to the AC charge(900), IIRC.

Upvote 0
I am curious about mine since I do not think my battery % profiles are working. This gets me worried whether any of my other profiles are working. The reason I think the % ones aren't working is because when I had it plugged in last night my widget went down to the 700/250 I had it set at. When my battery gets to the percentages that I specify my widget doesn't change at all other than the temperature readings. This just makes me wonder if my screen off one is working or if my temperature one will be working...

Has anyone else had problems like this?

Upvote 0
Could someone explain what the "Interactive" setting does differently than, say, on demand?

"Interactive" is being applied to kernels by Slayher and jdlfg. It is a setting that would be in between Performance and Ondemand. I've heard positive things regarding its performance and battery life. To read Slayher's explanation and view his thread, follow this link.

Upvote 0
"Interactive" is being applied to kernels by Slayher and jdlfg. It is a setting that would be in between Performance and Ondemand. I've heard positive things regarding its performance and battery life. To read Slayher's explanation and view his thread, follow this link.

I had ended up finding that myself, but hadn't got back here to mention it. Thanks though!

I was running in interactive the last couple days since I installed one of Slayher's kernels without knowing anything about it. I changed it to on demand today, and my battery actually seems to be doing better this way. However, I also changed to Slayher's updated 1.6 version of the LV 1100 kernel this morning, so its possible its that as well. Will have to run it a few more days to see I guess.

Upvote 0
I had ended up finding that myself, but hadn't got back here to mention it. Thanks though!

I was running in interactive the last couple days since I installed one of Slayher's kernels without knowing anything about it. I changed it to on demand today, and my battery actually seems to be doing better this way. However, I also changed to Slayher's updated 1.6 version of the LV 1100 kernel this morning, so its possible its that as well. Will have to run it a few more days to see I guess.

You should post your impressions once you have some. I'm interested to know if interactive really provides as much battery life as I've heard. I've been unable to flash any of Slayher's kernels. Correction, I can flash them, but as soon as I turn on my wifi I get a big bowl of bootloops.

Battery Life: Ondemand v. Performance
I forgot to post this last week. Using juice Defender and Juice Plotter to gather data, I ran the same kernel (P3 1100LV) on Performance and Ondemand, three days each. I found that the difference in battery consumption was negligible. I noticed no significant change regarding the longevity of my battery. But, as is expected, I did have better performance with the Performance setting.

As a result, I now run SetCPU on Performance, thanks for the helpful info JohnGalt!

Upvote 0
can you run Slhayer's kernals if your not running Cyanogen? or are they somehow tied to the need to have bits of data and code from Cyanogen to work properly?

EDIT: giving his 1.2 a whirl right now just to see as I have not tried his and 1.2+ never seem to work for me as it is. Just did a 3 Quadrants and hit high of 1375 on "performance" - not great, but not bad as I have hit higher than that on my 1.1 Chevy's. then I went into the typical reboot loop I seem to with 1.2 kernals as temps were staying pretty high :(

Upvote 0
Ahhh...much better...i set it in a way that it will use less cpu as the battery depletes....UltimateJuice/JuiceDefender also helps, did a test overtime i get x2.79 battery life more with schedules and whatnot. :cool:

Charging/full: 700/500 (powersave)

Temp: 47.2C 500/500 (on demand)

Battery<100%: 1100/900 (performance)
Battery<80%: 1000/900 (on demand)
Battery<70%:900/700 (on demand)
Battery<50%:700/500 (on demand)
Battery<35%:500/500 (powersave)

Upvote 0
you know, the 1 bad thing about your profiles is you will then get very limited 1100 usage as you only have 1100 set if at 100% battery. well, if you pay attention to your battery, you will notice you drop from 100% to 90% pretty quick after full recharge and thus, for a short period of time you will get 1100.

I want full CPU speed as often and as much as possible, or whats the point of OC IMHO, so I do not even have battery % profiles set until I get down to like 30%.

Upvote 0
you know, the 1 bad thing about your profiles is you will then get very limited 1100 usage as you only have 1100 set if at 100% battery. well, if you pay attention to your battery, you will notice you drop from 100% to 90% pretty quick after full recharge and thus, for a short period of time you will get 1100.

I want full CPU speed as often and as much as possible, or whats the point of OC IMHO, so I do not even have battery % profiles set until I get down to like 30%.

..i don't really want 1100 all the time. i mean, the span for it's gotta be like what a least a couple of hours until the battery gets to complete crap or so right?...i dunno. i just don't like recharing my battery every couple of hours i guess... with these settings i can go at least a day and a half or so, with the exception of juicedefender. :thinking:

...plus i got APW launcher with the droid x theme, and it scrolls just as fast (if not smoother) if it would running 1100. simply because it finally get to screw around with scrolling speeds, gui, etc with out the need for excess overclocking.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones