• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Setting a song as your ring tone

I had actually downloaded 2 songs from zedge already and they don't show up in the ringtone selection and there isn't an option to make them a ringtone either. I have used ringdroid before and it works great but still doesn't let you choose to have the song a ringtone. I will have to try to move the song into the ringtone folder, I still haven't hooked up my phone to my computer yet. Does Astra work to do this without the computer's help?

Upvote 0
i may be wrong about this, but i thought you had to move the song to the "ringtone" folder on the internal storage, then just go to either the contact or the phone default and your song will show up in the ringtone list.

This.

I had no problems selecting my own ringtone file once I figured out how to get my Nexus to show up as a drive on my PC (had to reinstall the usb drivers).

Upvote 0
alright, ive done what yall say and was able to set the ringtone, but i like to set an alarm to a song and even after the above it is still not there for me to use for an alarm. Ideas?

For ringtones, put the song in ringtones folder, for alarms, put song in alarms folder, for notifications, put song in notifications folder

Upvote 0
I just miss the stock ringtones that were on my OG Droid - I guess these astronomical ringtones just don't get it for me. I had my favorite, and I'd like it back.

Does anyone here know of a place where I can go to get the old ringtones so I can load them onto Nexus? :thinking:

EDIT: NVM, I DID IT!

I went into the system folder of my rooted Droid, copied my ringtone to the SD card, then copied the ringtone to the PC via USB. THEN I connected Nexus to the PC and dropped it in the "Ringtones" folder. DONE! :D

Reactions: DSCR
Upvote 0
I just miss the stock ringtones that were on my OG Droid - I guess these astronomical ringtones just don't get it for me. I had my favorite, and I'd like it back.

Does anyone here know of a place where I can go to get the old ringtones so I can load them onto Nexus? :thinking:

EDIT: NVM, I DID IT!

I went into the system folder of my rooted Droid, copied my ringtone to the SD card, then copied the ringtone to the PC via USB. THEN I connected Nexus to the PC and dropped it in the "Ringtones" folder. DONE! :D

Wow, good on you! ;)

And for those of you who have migrated over from the Blackberry world and miss your notifiers and ringtones, here are the original Bold ringtones:

Bold ringtones

Upvote 0
Sorry to be so blunt,

....But to those that suggest having to copy a file to the ringtone folder via a pc or non existing app, or install an app to assign ringtones, PLEASE. I understand that this seems to be the only way to achieve this goal, but seriously, ICS development needs to do something about this.

My SGSII does all this out of the box, no apps no mods. Besides, you cant transfer a file from one folder to the other with out a file manager/browser which is NOT included as standard for the Galaxy Nexus either.

The ability to assign a music file as a ringtone from the music player or the file manager/browser, to the phone or a contact, is a standard feature provided for every previous version of android on every model of phone I have ever had, prior to ICS.

The next update to ICS 4 had better include or provide alternatives to many standard features from previous versions. ICS 4 is turning out to be a big fail, IMO. If this is what is to be expected when upgrading my SGSII to ICS 4, then I will not be doing so.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
I was wondering the same thing since I received the ICS update on my nexus s. It turned out to be very simple. All you have to do is download the original android music player that we all know from stock 2.2-2.3 roms. It is available on the market and it has the classic feature of adding songs you have in your playlist as your ringtone

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones