Setting a song as your ring toneSupport

Last Updated:

1. andyandroid81891

andyandroid81891 Well-Known Member

Hey guys. 1 more question...

Can't seem to figure out how to set a song as my ringtone. I've tried in the music app and in sound settings.

ideas?

~Andrew

Advertisement
  2. eldiente

eldiente Active Member

I cant seem to figure it out either, hopefully someone will find a way ro do it.
  3. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Well-Known Member

you can do it with zedge, but only with songs in their database (which is huge). i have never been able to figure out how to set a song in my library as a ringtone on any android device. :confused:
  4. Proph

Proph Well-Known Member

i may be wrong about this, but i thought you had to move the song to the "ringtone" folder on the internal storage, then just go to either the contact or the phone default and your song will show up in the ringtone list.
  5. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

RingDroid allows you to make your own ringtone from songs on your library. Even lets you pick from specific sections of the song, so if you like a chorus of a song, you can pick that part as your ringtone. Great app..

edit: I just checked, it is now called Ringtone Maker.
  6. eldiente

eldiente Active Member

I had actually downloaded 2 songs from zedge already and they don't show up in the ringtone selection and there isn't an option to make them a ringtone either. I have used ringdroid before and it works great but still doesn't let you choose to have the song a ringtone. I will have to try to move the song into the ringtone folder, I still haven't hooked up my phone to my computer yet. Does Astra work to do this without the computer's help?
  7. Szarach

Szarach Member

Go into the phone from My Computer if you are on windows, find the folder called Ringtones or make one, and just drop the song in there.
    rere1121 and Frisco like this.
  8. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

This.

I had no problems selecting my own ringtone file once I figured out how to get my Nexus to show up as a drive on my PC (had to reinstall the usb drivers).
  9. eldiente

eldiente Active Member

I used Astro and it worked, I was able to put the ringtones into the ringtone folder and they now can be selected from as the default and for individual contacts.
  10. JessicaLynne

JessicaLynne Active Member

does anyone know how to text a ringtone to someone?
  11. xliderider

Use a file manager app like Astro. Select the ringtone file and long press the file name. A pop up menu will let you select Send, then select your SMS app (I have Handcent as an option).
  12. Nocta Hemata

Nocta Hemata New Member

I have found that Go SMS Pro also allows you to select music for your ringtones. Once the application is installed go to your phone Settings > Sound > Phone Ringtone > GO SMS Pro> Music. You can use the same process for notification tones as well. Hope this helps.
  13. orlando bull

orlando bull Well-Known Member

Yep, just put it in the "ringtone" folder. I now have the knight rider theme as my ring. Probably won't last long, but, I had to have something other than the stock rings.
  14. pgrommesh

pgrommesh Active Member

alright, ive done what yall say and was able to set the ringtone, but i like to set an alarm to a song and even after the above it is still not there for me to use for an alarm. Ideas?
  15. xinn3r

xinn3r Well-Known Member

For ringtones, put the song in ringtones folder, for alarms, put song in alarms folder, for notifications, put song in notifications folder
    littlefilly and pgrommesh like this.
  16. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

I just miss the stock ringtones that were on my OG Droid - I guess these astronomical ringtones just don't get it for me. I had my favorite, and I'd like it back.

Does anyone here know of a place where I can go to get the old ringtones so I can load them onto Nexus? :confused:

EDIT: NVM, I DID IT!

I went into the system folder of my rooted Droid, copied my ringtone to the SD card, then copied the ringtone to the PC via USB. THEN I connected Nexus to the PC and dropped it in the "Ringtones" folder. DONE! :D
    DSCR likes this.
  17. pgrommesh

pgrommesh Active Member

Wow i probably should have opened my eyes. Thanks!
  18. xliderider

Wow, good on you! ;)

And for those of you who have migrated over from the Blackberry world and miss your notifiers and ringtones, here are the original Bold ringtones:

Bold ringtones
  19. M0381U5

M0381U5 Member

Sorry to be so blunt,

....But to those that suggest having to copy a file to the ringtone folder via a pc or non existing app, or install an app to assign ringtones, PLEASE. I understand that this seems to be the only way to achieve this goal, but seriously, ICS development needs to do something about this.

My SGSII does all this out of the box, no apps no mods. Besides, you cant transfer a file from one folder to the other with out a file manager/browser which is NOT included as standard for the Galaxy Nexus either.

The ability to assign a music file as a ringtone from the music player or the file manager/browser, to the phone or a contact, is a standard feature provided for every previous version of android on every model of phone I have ever had, prior to ICS.

The next update to ICS 4 had better include or provide alternatives to many standard features from previous versions. ICS 4 is turning out to be a big fail, IMO. If this is what is to be expected when upgrading my SGSII to ICS 4, then I will not be doing so.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Frisco likes this.
  20. sunnyboy167

sunnyboy167 New Member

I was wondering the same thing since I received the ICS update on my nexus s. It turned out to be very simple. All you have to do is download the original android music player that we all know from stock 2.2-2.3 roms. It is available on the market and it has the classic feature of adding songs you have in your playlist as your ringtone
  21. littlefilly

littlefilly Member

I want to convert a .wav file to a mp3 format so I CAN use it as a ringtone...anyone familar here with that process? someone suggested using foobar2000 and something called LAME... help? thanks
  22. malcster

malcster Well-Known Member

You could try audacity think that saves as mp3

Normally use sound forge
  23. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Well-Known Member

24. umataro42

umataro42 Well-Known Member

I use MP3 Ringtone Maker, it lets you choose any song from your library, and you can also select portions of a song (intro, guitar solo, chorus, etc) if you don't want the whole thing.
  25. blackyblackguy

blackyblackguy Well-Known Member

Just use a ringtone maker app, select a song from your music library ON YOUR PHONE and select what section of the song you would like. No need to jump through so many hoops just to get a ringtone.