• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Severe Battery Drain Only on Network

gaajiwaaih

Mar 31, 2010
SoCal
Hello all,

About month ago my stock non-rooted VZW Gnex with extended battery suddenly went from 12-15 hours of battery life to 3-4 hours. I suspected a faulty battery and had it replaced. However, the problem continued.

Bizarrely, the drain (25% - 30% an hour while on standby) only occurs when connected to the network. While connected to wi-fi, my battery life is normal. Perhaps even more unusual, the problem has persisted despite receiving a replacement phone.

I have removed nearly every app and can't figure out what is causing the problem. I even had the sim card replaced on the chance that it was causing the issue.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

My guess, and without any more info from the OP this is a wild one, is that a built-in google service is 'stuck' in a sync. I had Google Backup running non-stop for 11hrs once. Ran the heck out of my CPU but luckily that was on wifi so my battery wasn't too bad. If something like that was stuck on 4G or even 3G I could see it killing a battery in a couple of hours easily. Even a Google plus or contacts sync could be stuck.

No way to know without at least battery screenshots.... ideally I'd want to see BetterBatteryStats results.

Reactions: gaajiwaaih
Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback.

After a few more hours with VZW support, they concluded that on their end, the network connection with my phone needed to be "refreshed." The tech had me turn off the phone and "turned the network off" for about five minutes.

After a restart and a night of charging, seems to be working. How bizarre is that?

A connection problem with VZW would make the most sense because it affected both my original and replacement phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones