• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root sgs firmware upgrade problem

fridgey

Lurker
Sep 9, 2010
Hi,

I followed a guide (How to Upgrade Samsung Galaxy S to Android 2.2 Froyo | Gadget News) to upgrade my firmware to froyo.

The rooting went fine, but when I tried to upgrade I encountered a problem. I did everything as explained in the guide: Pointed to all the correct files for "PDA", "PHONE" and "CSC" in Odin and I did tick the "Re-Partition" option. With my phone I booted into download mode and connected it to the computer. Clicked start in Odin and got the following printout:

<ID:0/010> Added!!
<ID:0/010> Odin v.3 engine (ID:10)..
<ID:0/010> File analysis..
<ID:0/010> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/010> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!

It got stuck there so I left it hoping its just taking a little bit of time...however, after an hour's wait I figured the upgrade was not successful.
I wasnt sure how to cancel the upgrade, so i looked on the web and apparently I was suppose to remove my battery for about 5 minutes or so and then put it back in and it should be okay...I did that, but now my phone doesnt startup at all. It just shows a picture of a cellphone trying to connect to a desktop pc but with an exclamation mark in the middle of the connection indicating that it cannot connect or something. Tried to plug the phone into my computer again and tried using ADB to reboot it again, but adb can no longer see my device.

If anybody can help, please do? Getting a bit desperate here :| And reeaalllly wanna upgrade to froyo. T_T

Thanks

this happened to me and i fixed it so all is not lost, im not 100% but i think i pulled the battery pluged the phone into my pc with odin running and firmware selected then put the battery back and turned it on and reflashed it

also try using Odin3 v1.3

Hello, I am having the same problem. Please clarify these 2 things: "firmware selected" (does that mean with the pit and the pda filled in via the drop down?), and, "turned it on". I think the probelm Fridgey & I are experiencing is that once the battery is put back in the triangle thing comes right back. Also, can you please post a link where Odin 3 v1.3 can be found? I've Google dit but cannot find it. Thanks...

Upvote 0
@ wbexpress: your post says you have vibrant?? to the best of my knowledge there is no working froyo firmware for that phone yet.
go to www.samfirmware.com and register there they have all the latest firmwares for all us and international galaxy s phones

I9000XXJP2 is also not the latest froyo version firmware I9000XXJPC is and its much more stable and ive found no glitches in it yet.

my head was up my ass when i wrote this:(also try using Odin3 v1.3)
i should have said are you using Odin3 v1.0?

this i what i mean when i say sellect the firmeare:

Press on the PIT button and load the

Upvote 0
@ wbexpress: your post says you have vibrant?? to the best of my knowledge there is no working froyo firmware for that phone yet.
go to www.samfirmware.com and register there they have all the latest firmwares for all us and international galaxy s phones

I9000XXJP2 is also not the latest froyo version firmware I9000XXJPC is and its much more stable and ive found no glitches in it yet.

my head was up my ass when i wrote this:(also try using Odin3 v1.3)
i should have said are you using Odin3 v1.0?

this i what i mean when i say sellect the firmeare:

Press on the PIT button and load the

Upvote 0
im sorry i couldnt help more. but i deffinately had the same problem. and was still able to solve it as my phone works fine now.

on the upside if it does turn out to be bricked at least T-mob will never figure out that you were flashing it and voiding your warranty

odin dosnt recogmise the phone atall when its plugged in??

No, because until it were to get into download mode it can't tell it is connected. Yeah, it's bricked. I did talk to a decent guy in Technical Support, and I am getting a replacement. Without actually saying the words, he gave a strong indication that they are aware that it is a "manufacturing defect". I should have had him put a note on my account to test it before sending it out so I don't get another hardware locked one. Oh well, if I do, I'll shoot myself before ever trying to flash anything else again with Odin. Give me my GPS fix and FroYo, I'll swear off ever flashing anything else again (maybe...:D).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones