• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SGS ready and waiting

Hi All,

Been looking around the various forums online and you guys seem to be the friendliest, so here goes.

Having found myself with some time on my hands after being made unemployed I've decided to root/mod an SGS that I managed to pick up from a friend on the cheap.

It's a UK Vodafone model. Currently on 2.1.1

PDA: JM4
Phone: JM3
CSC: JM3

Both Recovery & Download modes work

There seems to be no network or sim locks on the phone as I have put in a UK O2 PAYG sim and it works fine. I'd like to get rid of the Vodafone startup movie and the installed apps. I take it that a custom rom will allow me to do this?

I would like to root the phone and get a good custom rom installed. Now I have read that there are plenty of tuts around on how to do this but being a mac user I have also read that there is a problem using Kies and the USB cable on osx. Can anyone shed any light on this.

I've got a new Intel Imac. I've also got VMFusion running Windows 7(x64) and Ubuntu 10.10.

Which of these OS's is gonna be the best option to start rooting/modding the phone or is it not going to work because I am running the OS's through virtual machines?

Any help or comments regarding this will be greatly appreciated.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones