• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SGS7 Android email client formatting issue when sending

_NiNJA_

Lurker
Jun 30, 2011
Hello all,

I have a SGS7 with Nougat 7.0 and use the standard android/samsung email client (not gmail) for IMAP email.

If I send to a large group of recipients, for this case 21 people in total which I have saved as a group in my phone contacts ..... they complain they cannot read the message and it comes up with the following in their email client.

When I add the group as a recipient to the email, the email client adds all the recipents seperately and looks fine ...

Also .. on some emails they forward me back the subject line sometimes looks like like Sample 1 below where the Subject line is in amongst the To: field .... and on all messages instead of text there is just the encoding below.

Any ideas?

Sample 1:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, 18 April 2017 8:19 AM
To: Xxxxx Xxxxx <xxxx@xxx.xxxx.xxxx>, Xxxxx Xxxxx <xxxx@xxx.xxxx.xxxx>, Xxxxx Xxxxx <xxxx@xxx.xxxx.xxxx>, Xxxxx Xxxxx <xxxx@xxx.xxxx.xxxx>, Xxxxx Xxxxx <xxxx@xxx.xxxx.xxxx>, Xxxxx Xxxxx <xxxx@xxx.xxxx.xxxx>
Subject: Subect line here xxxxxxxxxx yyyyyyyyy

>,Xxxxx Xxxxx
<xxxx@xxx.xxxx.xxxx>, Xxxxx Xxxxx <xxxx@xxx.xxxx.xxxx>,
Xxxxx Xxxxx <xxxx@xxx.xxxx.xxxx>, Xxxxx Xxxxx <xxxx@xxx.xxxx.xxxx>, Xxxxx Xxxxx <xxxx@xxx.xxxx.xxxx>, Xxxxx Xxxxx <xxxx@xxx.xxxx.xxxx>, Xxxxx Xxxxx <xxxx@xxx.xxxx.xxxx>, Xxxxx Xxxxx <xxxx@xxx.xxxx.xxxx>, Xxxxx Xxxxx <xxxx@xxx.xxxx.xxxx>, Xxxxx Xxxxx <xxxx@xxx.xxxx.xxxx>, Xxxxx Xxxxx <xxxx@xxx.xxxx.xxxx>, Xxxxx Xxxxx <xxxx@xxx.xxxx.xxxx>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="--_com.samsung.android.email_5902008171710380"

----_com.samsung.android.email_5902008171710380
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
SGV5IGFsbCAuLi4KVGhlIGNsdWIgaGFzIHB1cmNoYXNlZCBhIGRlZmlicmlsbGF0b3Igd2hpY2gg
d2lsbCBiZSBzdG9yZWQgYXQgbm9ydGggZXBwaW5nIG92YWwgYW5kIHRoZSBjbHViIHdpbGwgYmUg

etc.

Sample 2

>>
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="--_com.samsung.android.email_5943807350038950"
>
> ----_com.samsung.android.email_5943807350038950
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
>
> bGV0cyB0cnkgYWdhaW4gcmUgZm9ybWF0dGluZyAuLi4uLsKgCkhleSBhbGwgLi4uCgpUaG
> UgY2x1
> YiBoYXMgcHVyY2hhc2VkIGEgZGVmaWJyaWxsYXRvciB3aGljaCB3aWxsIGJlIHN0b3JlZC

etc.

PS: With the gmail client, I cannot seem to setup the outgoing mail server for an IMAP email account to support TLS (accept all certificates) ..... incoming server it lets you select SSL/TLS etc but there is no option to select this security for outgoing email in the gmail client when setting up a IMAP account?

I just encountered this same issue for the first time today!

A person forwarded me a gmail message sent to their iphone; I could read it fine in the default Samsung Email v4.1.66.2
(which is a fine app for managing all my email accounts, btw!)

When I composed a reply to this message, and sent it some new recipients (including the original sender), they all reported that the message was "gibberish" meaning encoded as base64.

curiously, in my Gmail.com Sent box, the message was in base64! so the culprit was the Samsung EMAIL app, not google.

the message header was:

----_com.samsung.android.email_1806794918322170
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

SGkgU2NvdHQswqBHbGFkIHlvdSBzdXJ2aXZlZCB0aGUgZ3J1ZWxpbmcgZGF5ISBXZSBrbm93IHdo
etc

Of course I figured I could decode it, and when I tried www.base64decode.org
it worked!

hope this helps someone else... but, Samsung, please fix this version!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones