• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

shift and alt keys no longer work correctly after update, nor does autocorrect

Eowyn

Lurker
Jun 18, 2013
I recently updated my phone (Pantech Marauder) as I was prompted to today and the keyboard is no longer working properly.

- Whenever I use most programs, including the browser and Chrome, the "alt" and "shift" keys only work when I hold them down now. This makes typing extremely difficult, especially when I am trying to type passwords. It is not an issue in every single program. Just most.

- There is no longer the simple autocorrect that takes care of apostrophes and capital letters, as well as very obvious typos. For instance, "i" was always " changed to "I" and "dont" to "don't", which was great.

It may not sound like a big deal but it is really compromising my ability to use the phone normally. I use this mostly for professional purposes so typos are not acceptable.

Is there any way to fix this or am I just screwed? Because I don't get why anyone thought this was a good idea and I feel like it must be a glitch.

It also freezes a lot now.

There is always a risk of something going wrong with an update. This problem is do to the fact that the update overwrites partial data (in order to preserve settings and user data) the /system data is updated as much as possible without affecting user settings. This is where the problems usually come in. If the problems that are left after the update are unacceptable then the only thing that one can do is to backup as much of the device as possible and do a factory reset. This will remove all user data and settings and restore the phone back to a factory state with the new update. Then you will need to reinstall all your apps and settings.

btw Welcome to the forums :) We're glad you're here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones