Shocking GPS

Last Updated:

1. Arterion

Arterion Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all, I got my Desire today and I have to say I'm fairly impressed apart from what could only be described as shockingly poor GPS performance. It places my current location as several miles away from where I actually am- not even inside the blue circle- which renders the device useless for anything such as finding directions or as a SatNav.

Is there any way to improve this awful awful performance?

Advertisement
  2. Its_Red

Its_Red Well-Known Member

Hi sorry can't fix it but it definitely does not sound normal as my Desire's GPS gets pinpointed to within a couple of feet even when in doors.

3. WozzaX

WozzaX Well-Known Member

Have you made sure that the gps funtion is enabled?

Settings/Location/ Use GPS satellites = Ticked?

Other wise the wireless networks option will triangulate your position and wont be exact.

That sound like your problem.

4. hippy247

hippy247 Well-Known Member

I think you will find that google navigation is as good as or possibly better than tomtom. I use car locater and it knows my exact position and like I have already said, you need to try google navigation, you will be surprised how accurate it really is.

A lot of people find that the actual phone sometimes says you are a couple of miles down the road but all the apps know your exact location :)

5. byron_hinson

byron_hinson Well-Known Member

Yeah was going to post the same thing. It isn't on by default so switching on GPS via Satellites makes it perfect. Mine works brilliantly

6. WozzaX

WozzaX Well-Known Member

Mines spot on when i am out and about and even when I get the train home.

Its hit and miss when I am indoors though.

But then that obvious to everyone I hope.

7. picko

picko Active Member

Surprised at your post as mine is spot-on, have you checked menu / settimgs / location and tick use gps satelites.

8. Elsie

Elsie Active Member

My Desire has been stunningly accurate except on Monday afternoon when (for the first time) I needed to use the Sat Nav to get to Manchester Airport. All the way there it was saying I was in the highlands of Scotland or worse, the middle of the sea!

The stupid thing was I was clicking on "My Location" and it showed me where I was but when asking for navigation to start it kept taking me to Scotland! When I got to within 30 miles of home it started working properly and hasn't failed me since.

Weird!

9. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

As others have pointed out, the location data you're being shown there isn't GPS based. Enable it in settings. GPS is excellent in this device.

10. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

When I get my location by triangulation from home it puts it 2 or 3 miles away which is fair enough..

But strangely the dead centre of the blue circle is my old house!

11. Arterion

Arterion Member This Topic's Starter

Dopey idiot, I'd assumed GPS was on by default, all sorted now, thanks for the intel.

Also, OFI, that's spooky!