• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Sholes is down, have to send phone back

jestexman

Android Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2009
SE Dallas
Ok i understand that Sholes is down until they get their new site up and running.

The problem i am having is that my buddy's phone has dead a pixel and its going back to "V" so i need to go back to stock.

The smuupdater on his phone says it has an update quit or install. Well install is a no go and of course quit will quit.

On my phone under smu all i have available is stock 2.01 no root.

Now the question is this. Should i just dL the 2.01 stock to my phone move it to his root sd the reboot in to recovery and then what install from sd? That should get him back to stock right?

I think i got this down but want to make sure before i do it.

Oh and i now understand why you should learn to root from scratch. The updater is a great thing but if i had done it the hard way i would not even bother typing this question out. But i took the easy road and now have to ask for some help.

Thanks
JB

I think i would format the sd card before i ruturned it after you pit 2.01 stpck no root on it.

Depending on what one has on the SD card, simply formatting the SD card either in the phone itself or on a computer may not be enough.

Using a program called 'foremost' on my Linux machine, I was able to recover all data on a card that was formatted on the phone itself or on my computer with a card reader

There is another Linux program called 'shred' that will write random data to a card to ensure that programs like 'foremost' have nothing to work with.

Upvote 0
Depending on what one has on the SD card, simply formatting the SD card either in the phone itself or on a computer may not be enough.

Using a program called 'foremost' on my Linux machine, I was able to recover all data on a card that was formatted on the phone itself or on my computer with a card reader

There is another Linux program called 'shred' that will write random data to a card to ensure that programs like 'foremost' have nothing to work with.

Why would someone need to reformat the SD Card? I had to take my first Droid back because my notification light would not flash all the available colors (Green didn't work so new emails caused a Red flashing light). When I swapped out my phone for a new one, I kept the SD card from my phone. If you were trading your phone for another (Droid for Blackberry or something), you would have to give your SD card back but not for a "like for like" swap.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones