• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shopping list that assigns stores to items like tags

I've posted this concept on several shopping list apps, I continue to be flabbergasted that this simple functionality is not offered by any shopping apps.

There are several types of stores that I shop at:
  • Grocery store
  • Drug store
  • Hardware store
  • Department store
  • Convenience store

When I go to a store, I want to see the items that are available in that store on my list. That way, I can purchase all of the items available from that store.

Easy so far, correct?

Some items are available at multiple stores. Here's an example:

Banana:
  • Grocery store
  • Convenience store

So, if I go into a convenience store and get bananas, the item "bananas" would disappear from both the convenience store and grocery list, correct?

Unfortunately, no shopping app has been able to master this incredibly simple concept. Here are a few more examples:

Hummus:
  • Grocery store
Hummus is not available at a drug store, a hardware store, or a convenience store.

Light bulb:
  • Grocery store
  • Drug store
  • Hardware store
  • Department store
  • Convenience store
A light bulb is available at any store. When I add the item "light bulb" to my shopping app, I would tag all of the stores it is available at. The app would remember these item-specific tags.

Once I purchase the light bulb at one store, it would disappear from the list for every other store. A shopper does not need the item displayed on other lists once it has been purchased.

I am perplexed at why shopping apps cannot provide this simple, common-sense functionality. It seems like the most obvious functionality you would include in a shopping list app, and yet no no one is able to offer it.

Does anyone know of a shopping list app that offers this incredibly simple, common-sense functionality?

One of the biggest problems that I have discovered from order grocery is I get a lot of substitutes. If I don't check allow substitutes I will be missing items from the list. What is in stock and what isn't in stock is never very accurate. This is at Kroger's, Albertsons and Tony's grocery stores

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have been studying android development for the last two years and was looking to see if an app like that existed. That's when I came across this thread. I too have the same issue with items being available at multiple stores and was looking to possibly build this app. Alot of the apps I have seen so far are overly complicated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones