• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help should i exchange my X for another one?

dvigue

May 4, 2010
Maine
i have done everything people are posting regarding battery life. Everything, and my battery life is NO where near what you all are posting yours is...

i have noticed when using anything "data intensive" the back of my phone below the battery door gets really warm fast...could there be an issue? should i try and exchange it??

How long have you had the X? If it's brand new, I had a few days of "weird" battery issues including a hot battery door when using GPS. Everything leveled out within a week of charge cycles.

What apps are you running? If you have an App Brain account, post your app list.
I recently uninstalled Watchdog cause it cut my battery life in half.

Now I don't get the 4 days some people are saying, but I do get a day and a half to 2 days use out of the X.

Upvote 0
I recently bought a droid2 and the battery life will get me through a days use but on certain days I use my phone a heavy amount at which point my battery won't always get me past dinner, 6-7pm. So I went on ebay and looked up battery prices and if you get them from china or other countries they are cheap!
I now have 2 batteries and a charger for my droid for $10 with free shipping. I also saw they have the same price for 2 droid x batteries and a charger (10).

This may be easier than having to pay an activation fee and restocking fee (though I don't bow if either of these apply for a swap or defective product)

Upvote 0
Call verizon, if your polite they will probably send you a free replacement battery or an extended battery. I had a lg decoy, it was getting crap battery life, they sent me an extended battery and cover for free. I felt guilty about it because after a week of using the phone the old battery was much better so I rarely used the extended one. They were very nice about it and another reason why I recommend verizon to friends.

Upvote 0
How much websurfing, texting, phone calls, or whatever else are you doing?
From my personal experience if i am doing stuff on my phone, ie. Texting ALL day, or if i am running a CPU intensive app like a game, or similar your battery WILL NOT last long. The heat is normal if you are running apps.. that is the location of the CPU, right below the battery that is. Like any processor when it is being pushed, or not even pushed, when it is being used, it creates heat; This is why computers have the heat syncs.. On top of that, GPS, or other intensive applications will produce large amounts of heat.
My phone will last for three days IF i am using it sparingly.. but if i have the screen on full brightness and im running the internet or any other app at that, the battery will be shot within hours.. This is a powerful phone with one hell of a battery hog screen and processor.. This is why the android OS has control, and can underclock the CPU, to conserve battery life.
If you want the best battery life that will last, turn your screen brightness down all the way... it really isn't that bad except in the sun... and remove any "Live" apps or widgets which update them selves in intervals, like Facebook, twitter, any Social Networking Apps.. The internet browser is powerful enough to be ablet to do all of them.
Take off widgets you don't use...
Finally, just give the phone's battery a chance. Let it go through a few full power cycles, after doing everythign i just said.

Upvote 0
How much websurfing, texting, phone calls, or whatever else are you doing?
From my personal experience if i am doing stuff on my phone, ie. Texting ALL day, or if i am running a CPU intensive app like a game, or similar your battery WILL NOT last long. The heat is normal if you are running apps.. that is the location of the CPU, right below the battery that is. Like any processor when it is being pushed, or not even pushed, when it is being used, it creates heat; This is why computers have the heat syncs.. On top of that, GPS, or other intensive applications will produce large amounts of heat.
My phone will last for three days IF i am using it sparingly.. but if i have the screen on full brightness and im running the internet or any other app at that, the battery will be shot within hours.. This is a powerful phone with one hell of a battery hog screen and processor.. This is why the android OS has control, and can underclock the CPU, to conserve battery life.
If you want the best battery life that will last, turn your screen brightness down all the way... it really isn't that bad except in the sun... and remove any "Live" apps or widgets which update them selves in intervals, like Facebook, twitter, any Social Networking Apps.. The internet browser is powerful enough to be ablet to do all of them.
Take off widgets you don't use...
Finally, just give the phone's battery a chance. Let it go through a few full power cycles, after doing everythign i just said.

i always have my screen to the lowest setting, i never have GPS on, or BT. I do not surf alot, maybe a half hour a day, NO automtic updates at all. i send about 20 texts a day get about 15 emails a day, no games...

see why i am stumped everyone else gets soooo much more batter life...the only thing i have NOT done is run the battery all the way down and let the phone sut off, then charge...would that do anything?

Upvote 0
If you are on 2.2 it should be substancially better than 2.1.. Also if you are rooted, grab Cache mate for root users off the app store.. Empty your cache. if you are experienced and familiar with the phone look into a deodexed rom..

i am on 2.2. i have done 2 factory resets also. see, i have had it off rthe charger since 7am, its 8:10 here now, and i am at 90% ALREADY. sent 3 texts, installed an app, and got 4 emails...and thats it

Upvote 0
I have some friends with X's and they seem to have similar life to mine as far as the battery goes. With normal routine use we get a day out of the battery. That is with what I would call average use. I am a VERY heavy user and I can sometimes kill a battery before I leave the house for the day (a bit of an exaggeration but you get the picture).

I simply have a charger at home and a charger at work and one in the car. When I'm not using it at work I throw it on the charger. The new batteries lifespan is determined by "cycles" from what I've read. That is: the life is determined by how many times the phone is plugged in and unplugged vs. actual battery life cycles. I've read the stock battery that comes with the X is expected to last around 900 cycles. With that being said I can charge my phone three times a day (which I don't ever charge it that many times) for a year before I have to worry about my battery needing to be replaced. I figure by then I'll be getting the latest new phone available so it won't matter. I would much rather use this logic than restrict what I use my phone for. I bought it because it does all these neat things and I don't want to cut down on what it can do just to save battery life.

I personally wouldn't do an exchange just for the battery because you could always get a jacked up phone as a replacement. Then you would long for the days when only the battery was a problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones