• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root should I re-root..

ginster6

Lurker
Nov 9, 2009
Have rooted my droid X, when the first "1-click root" came out.. I have been busy and have not been reading the forums for awhile.

So I would like to know if my root is still current and good? or should I un-root and root with current "root" stuff.

currently
2.2 android
2.3.9.mb810 System Version
2.6.32.9-gfb07887 Kernel

Just think of rooting your phone like climbing a mountian. Once you're at the top it doesn't matter that now someone is offering helicopter rides up there for other people to reach the same place you're already at. So you can walk back down the mountian and then take a helicopter back up to where you already were if you really want to... but you'll just be back in the same place you're already standing right now.

Upvote 0
Have rooted my droid X, when the first "1-click root" came out.. I have been busy and have not been reading the forums for awhile.

So I would like to know if my root is still current and good? or should I un-root and root with current "root" stuff.

currently
2.2 android
2.3.9.mb810 System Version
2.6.32.9-gfb07887 Kernel

here's my question, and please forgive me if i sound like a jerk, because that isnt my intention.

so, if you truly dont know whether or not you're rooted... for all you know, your phone lost root months ago... and now you're curious if you should re-root... do you really need to be rooted? i take it you dont do anything with your phone that requires root, otherwise you wouldnt be asking if you are still rooted or not, right? rooting your phone doesnt provide any benefit if you're not doing anything that doesnt require superuser access.

if you do use applications that require root access, and they still work, obviously your phone is rooted still, and none of the new methods provide anything differently.

again, i dont mean to be rude, or sound like i'm talking down. i just come across a lot of people that think just the act of being rooted provides some sort of benefit, and i just wanted to clear up that myth if you were one of those folks.

anyway, if you want to truly find out if you're rooted, open terminal emulator, and type "su" (without the quotes). if you get a #, you are rooted, and if anything else happens, you are not.

Upvote 0
Actually sundOwn, knowing whether or not you're rooted isn't always as easy as it seems. When I first updated to .340 I didn't think I'd lost root. My superuser app was still in the drawer, and many of my root apps were still working, giving me the false impression I was still rooted (I think I may have even come on here exclaiming I didn't lose root because to that point everyone else was reporting that it broke their root.

It wasn't until I went into Titanium Backup and tried to do something that it told me I didn't have superuser permission to change anything in the app. Then I tried accessing a few other root apps, same story with all of them. What you have to realize is that when you lose root, some of your root apps will still do what you set them up to do. Sort of like if you have a laptop and you're the superuser and your son has a guest account on it. The actions you set up will still be working on the computer while he's accessing his guest account. He just won't be able to change them because he's not a superuser.

Same thing when you root a phone, set up some root apps, and then lose or unroot. Some of those apps will still do their thing because you've essentially rewired the phone to do something (take 'Search2Play' for instance, when you download that app and activate the action, which turns your camera shutter button into a play/pause button for your music player, it will continue to do that even if you uninstall that app, lose root, whatever... unless you go back in and undo the action before uninstalling/unrooting), and it'll continue doing so until it's told not to.

So I can sympathize with this guy. I was unaware for a few hours that I had lost root as well. It can be deceptive.

Reactions: sund0wn
Upvote 0
appreciate the insight. now, i may be wrong, but it sounds like you maintained root, but lost busybox. (if it ever happens again, there is a button on the bottom in titanium that says "problems?" just tap that, and it'll re-install busybox. i had that problem once before. most of my root apps worked, but titanium and a select other few didnt. i re-installed busybox, and everything went on its merry way.

although, if apps arent working fully, i can fully understand just equating that with losing root, and it made sense to just re-root.

i guess my point was that, if he isnt experiencing any problems, there probably isnt a need to worry about it. either he is still rooted, or he has no need for root.

Upvote 0
Hmmmm... I never would have known to check that. I haven't heard of anyone else doing the update without loosing root though, so it seems somewhat unlikely that I'm the only one. Still, I wish I would have known that then, I certainly would have tried it. When you lose busybox, do apps tell you that you don't have superuser permissions?

Like I'd mentioned, some of my root apps were still going about their business, such as SetCPU. But then when I went into others, they said I needed supersuser status to access the app. That was what made me think I was no longer rooted.

Upvote 0
Hmmmm... I never would have known to check that. I haven't heard of anyone else doing the update without loosing root though, so it seems somewhat unlikely that I'm the only one. Still, I wish I would have known that then, I certainly would have tried it. When you lose busybox, do apps tell you that you don't have superuser permissions?

Like I'd mentioned, some of my root apps were still going about their business, such as SetCPU. But then when I went into others, they said I needed supersuser status to access the app. That was what made me think I was no longer rooted.

yes. because with busybox missing, you're still technically rooted. SetCPU, screen cap, and lots of others will still work. but, titanium backup will say you dont have root access.

i could very well be wrong about you having still been rooted. you may not have been, but if you werent, i dont see why apps like setcpu would work. i suppose stranger things have happened.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones