• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Should I root or install OTA first?

kemical

Lurker
Jul 23, 2010
Hi all! I have a Droid Incredible on the way and it should be here in about 2 weeks *crosses fingers*. I want to get all the software I will need downloaded ahead of time, and I am confused about the order in which to do things. I have previously rooted and installed roms on my wife's Motorola Droid so I am somewhat familiar with the process.

My plan is to have a rooted and OTA updated Incredible running 2.1 until there are 2.2 roms that function well with the camera. What I need to know is what order to install things. Do I install the leaked OTA update and then root? Is the OTA update officially out yet, and if so should I just wait for that to download and install before rooting?

Thanks in advance for the help.

If rumors are correct 2.2 will be out before you get your phone. I would not installed the leak update because you will just have to downgrade and wipe your phone before you could get the official OTA update. If you want Root just wait for a rooted 2.2 ROM after the official one comes out and save yourself a lot of hassle.

As for downloading the apps you want, just use Appbrain and select the apps you want. When you get your phone just sync it with Appbrain and it will suck down and install all the apps you selected.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones