• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Should I wait for Lollipop before rooting?

Sep 28, 2014
I was planning on waiting a few weeks before upgrading.g to Lollipop when it comes out to read if it is worth it. Read some scary stuff about it. I was wondering if I should wait before rooting because I assume rooting would make upgrades a hassle. I rooted my Razr, but they had long since stopped updating, so I didn't have to deal with that. I figure Lollipop updates will be semi-frequent for a while until they get the bugs out.

I was planning on waiting a few weeks before upgrading.g to Lollipop when it comes out to read if it is worth it. Read some scary stuff about it. I was wondering if I should wait before rooting because I assume rooting would make upgrades a hassle. I rooted my Razr, but they had long since stopped updating, so I didn't have to deal with that. I figure Lollipop updates will be semi-frequent for a while until they get the bugs out.
Ideally, you should go for S-OFF now, which makes rooting trivial on any OS version. You should always S-OFF using the oldest possible software, before updating, because the exploits used to gain S-OFF are often patched on future releases.

If all you do is gain S-OFF, it will not affect your ability to take future OTA updates. Then, when you want to root, you can do so at your leisure.

Upvote 0
Ideally, you should go for S-OFF now, which makes rooting trivial on any OS version. You should always S-OFF using the oldest possible software, before updating, because the exploits used to gain S-OFF are often patched on future releases.

If all you do is gain S-OFF, it will not affect your ability to take future OTA updates. Then, when you want to root, you can do so at your leisure.
I take it S-Off is one of the steps? From what I saw this was more complicated than on the RAZR where it was just RAZR Blade and done.

Upvote 0
S-OFF unlocks the partitions of the device so that a custom recovery and SuperSU (for root) can be easily installed.

All that's needed for S-OFF is SunShine.

Okay, appreciate it. So I'm hearing Lollipop should roll out this week, that sound about right? Have they worked out the big bugs like WiFi and battery? My faith in HTC is honestly a bit shaken since that service pack that broke calling and the next one apparently created new issues. Luckily I read the reviews and declined to download it.

Upvote 0
Okay, appreciate it. So I'm hearing Lollipop should roll out this week, that sound about right? Have they worked out the big bugs like WiFi and battery? My faith in HTC is honestly a bit shaken since that service pack that broke calling and the next one apparently created new issues. Luckily I read the reviews and declined to download it.
The only news I heard is that it'll roll out by February 3. I'm not sure what WiFi/battery bugs you're referring to, though. I haven't really had any issues with those things that I'm aware of.

Upvote 0
Maybe best to do it before Lollipop, reading www.androidauthority.com/chainfire-rooting-android-lollipop-541458/]this[/URL] it seems Lollipop could cause problems for rooting with phones with locked bootloaders. I dunno if that will mean it becomes harder for the bootloader to be unlocked (since it's pretty straight forward at the minute) or what but it could cause problems.

Will you be staying stock and want apps with root privilege or are you looking for custom ROMs?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only news I heard is that it'll roll out by February 3. I'm not sure what WiFi/battery bugs you're referring to, though. I haven't really had any issues with those things that I'm aware of.

I read different things about some people having issues like that with Lollipop.

Maybe best to do it before Lollipop, reading www.androidauthority.com/chainfire-rooting-android-lollipop-541458/]this[/URL] it seems Lollipop could cause problems for rooting with phones with locked bootloaders. I dunno if that will mean it becomes harder for the bootloader to be unlocked (since it's pretty straight forward at the minute) or what but it could cause problems.

Will you be staying stock and want apps with root privilege or are you looking for custom ROMs?

I was hoping to just use the stock ROMs if you mean official updates. I've never flashed a ROM before. I was gonna once, but it wasn't available for the RAZR I had rooted. I'm pretty happy with just Android. I installed Safestrap on the RAZR, but was worried about if it took or not since threads were scarce on the subject, but the M8 is a flagship phone so it would probably have more info. I could also never figure out for sure if the Safestrap was enough or if they meant to "flash" my current Rom to make a backup in case of bricking.

Upvote 0
With a Motorola, you used an exploit to install a second system and custom recovery with Safestrap.

In general, an HTC roots like a Nexus (and not surprising as HTC made the first one).

Usual steps -

1. Unlock bootloader. Only difference from Nexus is you have to get a token from HTC. Erases your data.

2. Install custom recovery. Stop here and make a full backup (nandroid).

3. Add SuperSU using custom recovery - or - use custom recovery to flash a ROM with superuser already baked in.

Up to this point, you've relied on no exploits.

And with both the Nexus and the HTC, both bootloaders will still have some partitions locked with encrypted signature security - a manufacturer's security signature is required to install into some partitions.

On an HTC, encrypted signature security protection on is called s-on.

And unlike most other devices, there are from time to time exploits to get rid of that: s-off.

And that's the Holy Grail in rooting - with s-off, you will probably never need to unroot or screw around with unknown processes again.

S-off is permanent for all normal purposes.

The Sunshine exploit let's you jump past the part where you lose everything on the unlock.

And because it's an exploit, it's subject to closure by firmware updates by HTC.

If you're in to rooting and you have an HTC and understand s-off, then you always go for it at your earliest opportunity.

I personally know of HTCs where people put this off before the next big update who a) waited a lot of months for it to reappear, b) had to physically open there phone and short something on the motherboard while running to get it, and c) never got the chance again.

If you're going to root, and just not sure when, and s-off is available to you, you go for it right away or you take your chances.

It might still be here next week. And it might not.

Hope this helps. :)

PS - iow, follow the Captain's advice or suffer one of my long posts.

S-on: the price is just too high.

S-off: only $25.

Upvote 0
With a Motorola, you used an exploit to install a second system and custom recovery with Safestrap.

In general, an HTC roots like a Nexus (and not surprising as HTC made the first one).

Usual steps -

1. Unlock bootloader. Only difference from Nexus is you have to get a token from HTC. Erases your data.

2. Install custom recovery. Stop here and make a full backup (nandroid).

3. Add SuperSU using custom recovery - or - use custom recovery to flash a ROM with superuser already baked in.

Up to this point, you've relied on no exploits.

And with both the Nexus and the HTC, both bootloaders will still have some partitions locked with encrypted signature security - a manufacturer's security signature is required to install into some partitions.

On an HTC, encrypted signature security protection on is called s-on.

And unlike most other devices, there are from time to time exploits to get rid of that: s-off.

And that's the Holy Grail in rooting - with s-off, you will probably never need to unroot or screw around with unknown processes again.

S-off is permanent for all normal purposes.

The Sunshine exploit let's you jump past the part where you lose everything on the unlock.

And because it's an exploit, it's subject to closure by firmware updates by HTC.

If you're in to rooting and you have an HTC and understand s-off, then you always go for it at your earliest opportunity.

I personally know of HTCs where people put this off before the next big update who a) waited a lot of months for it to reappear, b) had to physically open there phone and short something on the motherboard while running to get it, and c) never got the chance again.

If you're going to root, and just not sure when, and s-off is available to you, you go for it right away or you take your chances.

It might still be here next week. And it might not.

Hope this helps. :)

PS - iow, follow the Captain's advice or suffer one of my long posts.

S-on: the price is just too high.

S-off: only $25.
Appreciate it. There's one problem, I'm not sure when I'll be able to afford Sunshine. Are there any free alternatives? Someone said Kingo. I can back up all my stuff beforehand if need be. Message+ allows me to back up my texts, and I'm willing to part with my cookies, login data, etc. Only thing that would be a bummer is having to redownload all my apps.

Upvote 0
Appreciate it. There's one problem, I'm not sure when I'll be able to afford Sunshine. Are there any free alternatives? Someone said Kingo. I can back up all my stuff beforehand if need be. Message+ allows me to back up my texts, and I'm willing to part with my cookies, login data, etc. Only thing that would be a bummer is having to redownload all my apps.
Use Helium Backup.

If you're not on Verizon, you can follow the traditional steps I outlined above, get your unlock token from HTCdev.com and try for Sunshine when you can afford it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones