• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sick of Microsoft Office?

Couple Office with this, and there will be frustrated users.

The amount of crap Windows users face is incredible

I've already seen posts getting close to naming this the new ME. And with the "Charms" crap - seems like Microsoft Bob isn't dead yet. You could kill Clippie.

I'm finding myself dumbfounded with the negative stuff being said about Windows 8. Personally I think it is more a case that the end user doesn't want to, isn't willing to or has become just plain too lazy to customize it for their own needs and preferences. I tried it and with just the addition of Start8 it operates no differently than 7 and is markedly faster, what could be wrong with that?

Upvote 0
the problem with ms office is that is SO WEIGHTED DOWN its rediculus. i ran open office for years and latly even that seems weighed down after i switched to libre office. i honestly cant remember the last time i used ms office. i think it was back in school on a win98 box with novell and the paper clip! do they still use the paper clip? i loved that little thing! lol

Lots of people do not like Clippy. Or Einstein or that insufferable little puppy dog for that matter. The cat was the worse.

As Word grows so does the bloat. In my installation, I removed almost everything. Just a few buttons for basic things as well as macro buttons to do special things unique to my woy of working.

You can tame MS-Word if you do not like the way it behaves.

Upvote 0
Just an opinion here so don't all jump on me at once, OK?
People paying to use Microsoft products are probably doing so because that is the only Office Suite that will do all of the jobs that they need in their lives. People like me can get away with using the freebie stuff but then we aren't dependant on it for our jobs.
I'm pretty sure that if there was a free product on the market that would do all of the things that Microsoft Office does, 99% of Office Suite users would ditch Microsoft and climb on-board with the free stuff. The other 1% are in Bellevue Sanatorium for the mentally unstable.

Upvote 0
Just an opinion here so don't all jump on me at once, OK?
People paying to use Microsoft products are probably doing so because that is the only Office Suite that will do all of the jobs that they need in their lives. People like me can get away with using the freebie stuff but then we aren't dependant on it for our jobs.
I'm pretty sure that if there was a free product on the market that would do all of the things that Microsoft Office does, 99% of Office Suite users would ditch Microsoft and climb on-board with the free stuff. The other 1% are in Bellevue Sanatorium for the mentally unstable.

I am sure many would ditch Office. Not sure why OO is not more widely used. My theory is Office is all they know and they do not think the free office suites are worth it. I do know this: Bob is not going to upgrade because he is mad at Microsoft for that bloody darn file format change. We do not need docx, dagnabbit!!!

OpenOffice, LibreOffice and Alibi Word are probably well suited for 90% of the general public that does not depend upon a word processor to earn a living. I think many want the features they will never use.

I agree with you in other words.

I depend upon a word processor and for many decades, my choice was Word. I tried Ami-Pro for a bit, but despite what the company told us, there was no easy way to convert AP documents to Word .doc files. Not without having to fix them. Not to mention, macro issues. And forget Word Perfect. I never liked it, dag nabbit!!!

Such was (and is) the problem when you use something other than what your company requires and installs. I also think many IT depattments frown on OO because it requires that they learn something new. I know a few lazy IT wonks and the last thing they want is to learn something new. :p

And I AM NOT saying all IT professioals are morons, just a few.

Upvote 0
<br />
<br />
Or having to use that damn Publisher app that Office had. I talked my boss into Illustrator. <br />
<br />
WordPerfect for Dos did have fantastic layout capabilities. You could do a decent newsletter in it. I have books on Desktop Publishing in WP.
Not to be contrarian, but I found publisher useful...I had to cobble together various documents and banners for our company... from various power point and word files + assorted image file formats.
What was reasonable I "designed" n printed in house, the rest I farmed out, and they were ok with publisher files.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones