• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Signing in to my Google account

Cwuin

Mar 24, 2013
I bought the phone (Huawei ascend G300) second-hand switched on and it asked me for my Google account everything worked splendidly.

I noticed there were some cyanogenmod upgrades and I upgraded to 10.1, that's when the following happened.

1. My Google app. disappeared and it would not download via the net.
2. My Google Play disappeared so I could not download any apps. and I could not download it from the net.
3. Data is switched on and so is data national roaming. I can browse web pages, press all the right buttons for downloading and installing but nothing ever downloads or if it does I can't find it.
4. All my contacts disappeared.

On advice, I carried out a factory reset expecting just that, however it retained the latest upgrade 10.1; obviously not a full reset. I tried this twice.

5. Afterwards I entered my email address which it accepted, expecting my contacts and everything else to sync, to no avail.
6. I went into accounts and there is my email but no Google.
7. I went into People and tried to set up an exchange account; after entering my email it put me into account setup; I pressed 'next' and it said 'couldn't open connection to server'.
8. I looked for advice on the net; saw something promising and tried to find 'accounts and sync' under system settings, it didn't exist, I have no sync facility.
9 Using advice on the net showed a number of explanations but a lot of the time the menus in their system settings didn't correlate with mine. Different OS upgrades?
10. (as an aside) At one point I tried to use Bluetooth to transfer data; at this point my PC froze; it took me four days to cure and I now have Windows 8 on two different drives (I hate Windows 8, one of them was bad enough).

Woe is me! I think I should have stayed with tetrodes and pentodes.

Any answers please.

Clive

I am assuming you are rooted, if you are using CM 10.1. Please verify, and I'll move this into the All things root section :)

I am not familiar with your specific device, so you may receive better help in there.

I would try wiping your cache and dalvik cache in recovery and then flash the appropriate gapps package.
Find that here: Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps

It should be the top one called "20130301".

What version of CM did you upgrade from? It could be that your gapps just weren't compatible with the upgrade.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
I would assume you device is rooted.
Although I am not familiar with your device, I would assume we need to either:
A. Find another rom to flash or,
B. Bring the device back to the stock, unrooted state.

Let me see if I can come up with something for ya:)

Edit: ninj'd by B. :)

Edit again: just to post this in case we need it:
http://www.forum.shaarpmind.com/sho...re-stock-Firmware-on-Huawei-Ascend-G300-U8818
Is this device the U8818?

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
Thanks for digging that up Mike :)

I would go with the gapps first as it isn't detrimental and will not wipe any data, though it sounds like you performed a factory reset already anyway so that may be moot :/

Factory resets won't downgrade your software. Just like on stock, if you take an update, you are factory resetting the software version you are on, not the device itself to the exact state it was in when purchased.

A factory reset only touches data. It will wipe all your user apps/and associated data, contacts, messages, accounts, system settings, etc. but not the actual OS or and system apps.

Did you make a nandroid backup before updating? If so, that would contain your previous software version (really the entire state of your phone) and restoring that should make everything right in the world again.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Unfortunately you are talking to a newbie here my days of attempting to run Linux on my PC are long gone. Nonetheless I found a memory cache and reset it it didn't totally empty it. I don't know where the Dalvik cache is and don't remember seeing one on my trawl. I don't know what a gapps package is but how can I download it anyway and what is the procedure to do so? Also how to flash and unroot? It's the 8815 and I believe the original version was some 9.0 configuration. I'll study your URL.

Upvote 0
well, Gapps are the google apps that are packaged in a .zip form that is flashed (installed) via the recovery on an Android device such as yours.
Those Gapps usually are flashed separately from an AOSP rom such as Cyanogenmod roms. Long story but that's the way it is with CM roms:)
Anyhoo, do you know how to get into recovery?
And the Gapps package you download, need to be put on the sd card, (internal or external) and left zipped up...do not unzip the download.

:)

Edit: just saw your last post:)
I would download the Gapps to your computer, then plug your phone in, and transfer the file to your sd card. :)

Let's try that as Brian suggested first :)

Edit again...just looked at my post and now it looks silly with all the smileys. lol

Upvote 0
o.k..no worries.
Are we sure that you are currently on CM 10.1.
If so, and just for organizational purposes, we can move this to the root forum.

Next, let's download the Gapps that Brian linked you to and put those on the sd card (internal memory).

Then we need, unless you know how, to boot into recovery. :)

Edit: You keep ninj'ing me with your posts :p --no worries tho!!
Or I type slow.
Let me see if I can find how to boot into recovery :thumbup:

Edit again: I think this is how to boot into recovery:
turn off the phone, pull the battery, wait a few seconds, replace the battery then turn on with the 'volume UP' button pressed to enter recovery.

Found that here:
http://www.modaco.com/topic/353386-how-to-root-your-huawei-ascend-g300-for-windows-mac-and-linux/

Posted that link just in case we need it:)

Upvote 0
Kinda looks like this?
images

Now go get some sleep :D

Upvote 0
That's it, got rid of it after an hour by switching the phone off. After it restarted everything was exactly the same as before, all the same apps there as well as the ones missing, re-entered my gmail account OK; still no sync facility or any data synced. The only change was in the micro sd card, the unzipped folder was missing possibly disseminated and there were a number of empty folders in its place. No change whatsoever. I found a temporary unroot facility in the 'superuser'.

Upvote 0
Well, when you boot into recovery, nothing will happen unless you highlight an option and press power to select that option.
I am not clear on what you meant by something rebooting whilst in recovery?
But in recovery, you can wipe the "cache" and "dalvik cache". Then navigate to "install zip from sd card", find the Gapps.zip, select it to flash it.
Then you can go back to the reboot option.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones