• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Simple profile switcher based on Wifi's in range

If it's in range of my home wifi it connects and it should set volumes up.
If it's in range of my work wifi (forget connecting it's pointless) but set volumes down.
Anywhere else i.e. when the wifis disappears set volume to ....

Tasker was confusing and overkill. Llama got too fancy and wanted to base everthing on cell towers which in my location was too inpercise. And there are so many apps. Any recommendations?

I normall leave location and data turned off and turn them on manually only when needed--data a couple times daily to check personal email from work and I still perfer my TomTom to the phone for driving directions so I rarely turn location on.

This is the kind of job Tasker was designed for. Your description is a little vague to setup the Tasker profiles ...

If it's in range of my home wifi it connects and it should set volumes up.
If home WiFi is in range ...
Turn WiFi on in the device.
What volumes'? My guess is ... D, N, R, and S
What levels? My guess is restore them to saved values and if none are saved set them to maximum.​

If it's in range of my work wifi (forget connecting it's pointless) but set volumes down.
Leave WiFi alone.
Leave volumes alone.
This is an irrelevant condition. WiFi will be off in the device already and volumes will be down already.​

Anywhere else i.e. when the wifis disappears set volume to ....
If home WiFi is not in range ...
Turn WiFi off in the device.
Save all 7 volume levels.
A - alarm
C - in-call voice
D - DTMF
M - media
N - notification
R - ringer
S - system​
What levels? My guess is turn D, N, R, and S to zero.​
... Thom

Last edited:
Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0
If home WIFI is in range:
set system, ring and notification volumes to 5
turn WIFI on
turn data off
turn Location off
if work WIFI in range:
set system, ring and notification volumes to 1
turn WIFI off
turn data off
turn location off
if neither WIFI is in range:
set system, ring and notification volumes to 7
turn WIFI off
turn data on
turn location on

In any of the above situations I should be able to override the settings like when I decide to check my personal email at work I turn data on open gmail and hit refresh. If I don't have any, I turn data off and go back to work. Go into a movie theater or funeral home or restaurant I might set the phone to vibrate using the default settings--I'll turn it back to sound when I come out. So in essecence Tasker should do these things only once when I arrive home and not as I suspect it does every time it turns on WIFI to verify it can see my home WIFI.

Right now I use Quick Profiles app which necessitates I unlock the phone, click the app and select work or home profile then lock the phone--of course I have to remember to do this. I really don't want to become a programmer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones