• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Simple total bag weight app. I think.

tjreishus

Android Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2009
I was wondering if there was someone out there who could create what I think is a simple app. I've been using a spreadsheet, but its too much of a pain.

As a pilot for a company, we receive a load sheet from our loaders. It tells us how many bags and types of bags that have been loaded on the airplane.

Example:

Checked bags: 43
Heavy bags: 3
Planeside bags : 20

Checked bags count as 30lbs, heavy are 60, and planeside are also 30. I need a total to enter into a computer on the aircraft. In the spreadsheet I created I would enter the number next to each category and it would give me a total number. The problem is that I need this to be REALLY EASY AND FAST! I'm finding the spreadsheet to be too cumbersome. When I click on the field where I want to enter the number of bags, I first have to erase what was in the field before, then I have to change the keyboard to enter numbers. I have to do this to each field and it gets old. Is there a way to make an app that will erase what is in the field when I click on it and automatically bring up the number keyboard?

Actually, If you're using a spreadsheet, save the spreadsheet with no values in the count column as a template - then you open the template and it opens a new spreadsheet with the column empty and you can enter and go.

That should save you a lot of time, and provides you with an easy way to save each file with a date / location so you can keep track of all of them yourself.

Having worked as a lineman at Macon Downtown in GA, it really sounds like you're working for a courier service (we serviced 4 Flight Express and 1 Ram-Ari when I worked there about 3 years ago). The app you're requesting could (and should!) be pretty simple to make, though, seeing as you only need to punch in numbers and have it calc Ttl Wt. based upon the formulas....

Someone here can come up with it in a matter of minutes, me, personally, it will take a bit longer b/c I am still new to the programming aspect of Android.

Still, though, this is exactly the kind of project I need to get going - I ma a math major, so calculating this would be easy enough, and it is simple enough to not take me 3 years to make :p

I'll try to give it a shot in a couple of days if someone doesn't beat me to the punch....

Upvote 0
Thanks John,

I gave it a try and it does help some to open it up with empty fields. I still have to click on the field, then click on the top bar where I enter the number, then change the keyboard to numbers. I was hoping to be able to click on the field and it would open the number keyboard automatically. One tap, enter number, next tap, enter number, etc. I figured it would be easy for someone who knows how to program. I actually work for an airline carrying passengers, all the cargo is luggage. We used to receive a cargo load report that had total weights, but now they want the rampers to give bag counts only and have the crew total up the weights.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Done. :) 2.5 hours.
Tell me what you think? I can put more work in and functionality, just let me know what you want.

luggagepro - Project Hosting on Google Code

Don't forget. Since this app isn't on the Marketplace, you'll have to have Unknown Sources checked under Applications in your Settings. Go to the link on your phone and click the D/L link to start, or go on your desktop/laptop, hook your phone up as a drive, and put it on your SD card, then run it with a file manager! You're set!

Edit: I know one thing to change already. The launcher icon sucks, but images Isnt my department. I'll give it another shot tomorrow if I have time after work.

Upvote 0
AWESOME!

Exactly what I was looking for. I used it today and thought it was perfect. The ONLY way that it could possibly be faster would be if it were possible to have the cursor already in the first field with the keyboard open each time I open the app. I don't know if thats possible and it only saves me one tap on the screen so its really not a big deal at all.

Thank you so much for that, it's going to save me a lot of time over the next few years that I use it. I work for a company with just under 5000 pilots, would you mind if I share this with them. Otherwise, you could put this on the market for cheap and I will tell everyone with android phones about it.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Just when I thought we had this this thing perfect, my company went and changed things on me yesterday. They just added 3 more rows to the new sheet for misc. weight. I completely understand if you are done with this project. If you really feel like it, and only if you want to, would it be too hard to add 3 more rows for misc. weight? They added 3 rows because the weight could be in different categories. Ballast, Mail, or comat. The only other thing, and again it's really not a big deal at all, but it's so close to being absolutely PERFECT! With the new change I saw that you were able to clear all the fields and have the cursor in the 1st field when I open the app each time. Is there a way to have the number keyboard open when I open the app also?

example:

checked bags
oversized bags
planeside bags
misc weight
misc weight
misc weight

Thanks for everything you've done so far, let me know how I can donate.

Upvote 0
Lol. There is no such thing as done with a project if you're a developer. I'll make those changes tonight. That should be easy to put in. As far as the keyboard being open, Ill give it another shot. thought the change I put in last night would do it, but apparently not. Also, thinking if putting in a way to change the default weights, just in case the company changes the. Look for another version in a night or two.

Upvote 0
Just as a head's up. I decided to just immediately work on version 1.1 instead. All the changes go hand in hand, so it makes sense. The only thing that will slow you down in the beginning is having to add the luggage types in. I'm having a way to add types, and also, ways to remove them (in case your company changes things again). I'll put some images up tonight.

Upvote 0
Found it! That is impressive. I love how you can create your own field and name it what you want. It looks like that took you a long time to create. The only problem that I ran into was that there is no way to have a field where I can enter a weight instead of a unit number. For example, if I get my load sheet saying I have 32 checked, 5 heavy's, 25 planeside, 25lbs of mail, and 200lbs of ballast, I don't know how to enter the 25lbs of mail and 200lbs of ballast. I could create a new field but the mail weight and ballast won't ever be the same number. Not a big deal though, it only happens about 1 out of 5 flights and I can add those in my head if need be.

Thanks again for all the hard work, it really does save a lot of time.

Upvote 0
Ok! App is updated! There is now a misc. button that will show up on the layout. Click it, and it will add a misc row in there as well. there's no limit to how many you can put, and you can remove them just like the other rows. This text box also holds more numbers, up to 5. If you think that's not enough, let me know, since I don't know what numbers you usually process. Hope you like it.

Edit: Also, these fields will disappear when the app is closed. Figured that was easier since I didn't think it would be necessary to keep them around on subsequent opens. Plus, you said it happens 1 out of 5 flights. If those fields are there for those other 4, you'd have to put 0 for the calculator to process the input, thus SLOWING you down! We don't want that!

Upvote 0
Im so sorry it has taken so long to get back to you on this. One of my dogs had to be put down so I wasn't into the phone or computers for a couple days. Then as things got back to normal my phone broke and it took 5 days to get another one. I just used it today and I think it is perfect. Did you get my donation about 10 days ago? Im going to post something about this app for other crewmembers to take a look at. I'll encourage to buy the donate version.

Thanks again for your hard work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones