• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sites complaining about AdBlockers

bcrichster

ROMinator
Recognized Developer
Jan 23, 2013
Florida
If the ridiculousness of over excessive ad intrusions weren't so prevalent, most ppl wouldn't need them as much. I remember a time when I'd rather use my phone to watch TV or surf the internet just so I didn't have to watch those incessant Ads! Ppl PAY for their data that gets quickly consumed by those ads and can't control the fact they reach their data cap quicker each month without trying..
http://www.bdlive.co.za/business/in...h-in-asking-readers-to-stop-using-ad-blockers

Upvote 0
the adverts for me, were consuming 80-90 percent of my data...

most of my online surfing is reading literature, forums, newspapers, research for projects I am working with.
A very long article might be 2k to 5k of text characters. But those advert images eat up many mBytes of data...

so, I installed AdFendeer, AdBlock, and Disconnect, and NoScript... now all I see is TEXT.

Upvote 0
the adverts for me, were consuming 80-90 percent of my data...

most of my online surfing is reading literature, forums, newspapers, research for projects I am working with.
A very long article might be 2k to 5k of text characters. But those advert images eat up many mBytes of data...

so, I installed AdFendeer, AdBlock, and Disconnect, and NoScript... now all I see is TEXT.
BAM! Great idea! [emoji41] Lots of APK's tho, Lol. Dealing with ad issues for family members here myself.. The word "Root" has them freaking out (cuz I bricked my Sync due to personal negligence, Lol). I think I'll manually push some stuff into system & hope it does the trick..

Upvote 0
A few weeks ago I started using Ad-away (requires root), installed through FDroid. It’s open source, which gives me peace of mind that it won’t abuse root access. As Earlymon explained well in the linked other thread, it doesn’t involve loading any process that consumes resources… it simply modifies Android’s built in hosts table to redirect known ad server sites. Lightweight, safe and effective. (the only minor thing I noticed is that you need to update the database periodically otherwise you’ll see more and more ads coming back).

Ad-guard is apparently a no-root solution for ad blocking. I don’t know much about it.

I can’t say I blame a website for complaining about adblockers. While users may have good reason to use adblockers, websites also have good reason to run ads (to pay the bills... otherwise there's not much reason for them to exist). We shouldn't punish all websites for the sins of the few with the really obnoxious ads.

Codesplice has mentioned the google contributor project.

I can’t quite bring myself to pay to remove ads. But on the other hand I still get a tiny twinge somewhere in the bottom of my gut when I ponder the subject (maybe supressed feelings of guilt, or maybe indigestion... I probably should've thrown that potato salad out).

Personally I think the tension between ads and adblocking will become a bigger and bigger deal driving changes in the way things work....hopefully for the better. Related thread here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The problem is advertisers are finding newer ways to be more and more invasive, which is leading to more and more people searching for ways to filter ads. I don't mind tasteful ads with placement that doesn't scream "you ain't reading nothing till' you read me" - Those ads that pop on top of everything & the ones that cause the site content to "shift" pushed me into using ad blocker.

I don't mind ads off to the side, I do mind ones that should come with a warning that they may cause epileptic seizures in the process of trying to gain your attention. And don't forget the fun ones that start talking...Especially at 1 in the morning when you are on your laptop in the bedroom trying to catch up on stuff while avoiding waking your significant other...Resulting in the "Why the heck did you wake me" stare...

I fully grasp the need for sites to use advertising for backend revenue....Sites aren't free to run, but don't make me run away from the site!

FYI...I never used to have ad-blocker active here...I had no problem participating as a VIP and helping with revenue by having the ads, but when ads start to overtake content you just have no choice but to say...No more...

Upvote 0
The problem is advertisers are finding newer ways to be more and more invasive, which is leading to more and more people searching for ways to filter ads. I don't mind tasteful ads with placement that doesn't scream "you ain't reading nothing till' you read me" - Those ads that pop on top of everything & the ones that cause the site content to "shift" pushed me into using ad blocker.

I don't mind ads off to the side, I do mind ones that should come with a warning that they may cause epileptic seizures in the process of trying to gain your attention. And don't forget the fun ones that start talking...Especially at 1 in the morning when you are on your laptop in the bedroom trying to catch up on stuff while avoiding waking your significant other...Resulting in the "Why the heck did you wake me" stare...

I fully grasp the need for sites to use advertising for backend revenue....Sites aren't free to run, but don't make me run away from the site!

FYI...I never used to have ad-blocker active here...I had no problem participating as a VIP and helping with revenue by having the ads, but when ads start to overtake content you just have no choice but to say...No more...
EXACTLY!

Upvote 0

Precisely.

I read a LOT of technical articles just because I want to stay in touch with my past electronics career, military news on their new designs, etc.... Forbes lays a complete page over the entire website that you have to wait on forever it seems to get it to go away.... sometimes, the ESC key (on a PC) will make it go poof!

So, that helped push me into a full barage of adblockers.... when I see an advert get thru the blockers, I just do a Right Click and one of the tools lets me add that image or link, to the blocked list. and it is gone forever.

My local hometown online newspaper ( a TV station ) has an obtrusive popup "Relative News" that is extremely irritating to me. It comes up when I am about half way down the page, and then it overlays the bottom right corner of the text... !@#$%^&

so far, I have not found a way to defeat that thing, and no amount of complaining to the webmaster does any good. They ignore me, refuse to even answer my questions about it.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones