• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Slightly OT: Broken Nandroid

rdoac

Oct 12, 2012
Rockford, IL
Hi Guys,

I posted this in the Samsung Mesmerize group as it's the phone the problem exists with, but I have far more hope the answers will be got from this group as the MT is my main phone, and this is the forum I hang out in, and I believe ClockworkMod is still probably ClockworkMod regardless of phones.

I had CM10 daily on my sons Mesmerize, from 10272012. I did a Nandoid backup using Clockworkmod (I think 6), and then proceeded to try and do an upgrade to the latest Daily, knowing that I could restore the Nandroid if it went wrong.

At some point I guess CM10 went from 10 to 10.1 so the upgrade didn't work well, so I went to restore the Nandroid prior to backing it all up and starting from scratch. However, on restore, when the phone starts I get Trebuchet has stopped working over and over again and can't get to any sort of launcher in order to back things up.

I have read that I can get the SMS/MMS's out of the phone using AppExtrator 2.0 beta and/or Titanium Backup Pro, but both seem to go through the motions but then give up.

Anyone have any tips as to how to extract (at the very least) the text messages in the nandroid backup?

I am fairly OK with Linux, so don't mind delving into the terminal if necessary.

What are you trying to restore your sms and mms to. My question is... you did the backup on cm10, are you restoring your message to cm10 or a different revision of CM?

I have had great results restoring to the same CM revision, but I have had problems trying to restore from cm9 to cm7 .

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

I posted this in the Samsung Mesmerize group as it's the phone the problem exists with, but I have far more hope the answers will be got from this group as the MT is my main phone, and this is the forum I hang out in, and I believe ClockworkMod is still probably ClockworkMod regardless of phones.

I had CM10 daily on my sons Mesmerize, from 10272012. I did a Nandoid backup using Clockworkmod (I think 6), and then proceeded to try and do an upgrade to the latest Daily, knowing that I could restore the Nandroid if it went wrong.

At some point I guess CM10 went from 10 to 10.1 so the upgrade didn't work well, so I went to restore the Nandroid prior to backing it all up and starting from scratch. However, on restore, when the phone starts I get Trebuchet has stopped working over and over again and can't get to any sort of launcher in order to back things up.

I have read that I can get the SMS/MMS's out of the phone using AppExtrator 2.0 beta and/or Titanium Backup Pro, but both seem to go through the motions but then give up.

Anyone have any tips as to how to extract (at the very least) the text messages in the nandroid backup?

I am fairly OK with Linux, so don't mind delving into the terminal if necessary.

I can answer this better when I get home, but search this forum for text backups or something like that. I found some things that you are looking for and would be rehashing that thread anyway.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The story so far:

Copied the datadata.yaff2.img to my trusty Gentoo box.
Downloaded Yaff2-Utils (which didn't appear to do anything..)

Downloaded unyaffs2 from somewhere on google code (source and compiled). Unpacked the .img to a directory on my /home directory.

Downloaded sshdroid on sons phone. Started it.

Logged in using ssh (oooooo!)
Found the sms store in /data/data/com.providers.telephony/databases

Moved the contents (2 databases mms and telephony) and their indexes to the sdcard for safe keeping.

Scp'd the databases and indexes off the Gentoo box from the ssh session inside the Phone (another oooooo).

Changed permissions back to radio:radio and 660. And rebooted.

I have all his text messages back and he will be happy when he gets back (He has something like 10,000 of them as he's 16).

Cheers guys..

Upvote 0
The story so far:

Copied the datadata.yaff2.img to my trusty Gentoo box.
Downloaded Yaff2-Utils (which didn't appear to do anything..)

Downloaded unyaffs2 from somewhere on google code (source and compiled). Unpacked the .img to a directory on my /home directory.

Downloaded sshdroid on sons phone. Started it.

Logged in using ssh (oooooo!)
Found the sms store in /data/data/com.providers.telephony/databases

Moved the contents (2 databases mms and telephony) and their indexes to the sdcard for safe keeping.

Scp'd the databases and indexes off the Gentoo box from the ssh session inside the Phone (another oooooo).

Changed permissions back to radio:radio and 660. And rebooted.

I have all his text messages back and he will be happy when he gets back (He has something like 10,000 of them as he's 16).

Cheers guys..

Now you just need to tell him about sms backup and restore. It has a scedualer

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones