• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Slim firmware that works with Samsung A40 - filesize <4Gb

Spikur

Lurker
Oct 2, 2023
Hello

I have an Samsung A40 that, after my daughter dropped it in water, seem to have a faulty OS. It boots and then gets stuck on the brand screen. I can get it to the root meny, so technically I could fix it with a SDcard I have. Found a firmware that should work. The problem is that the largest file is 4,5Gb. And as Android is only compatiible with Fat32 I can't transfer the file to the SD (Via another phone). Can anyone help me find a firmware that is less than 4Gb?

Hello

I have an Samsung A40 that, after my daughter dropped it in water, seem to have a faulty OS. It boots and then gets stuck on the brand screen. I can get it to the root meny, so technically I could fix it with a SDcard I have. Found a firmware that should work. The problem is that the largest file is 4,5Gb. And as Android is only compatiible with Fat32 I can't transfer the file to the SD (Via another phone). Can anyone help me find a firmware that is less than 4Gb?

AFAIK Samsung phones and tablets can't be flashed from an SD card with the factory recovery, only if you have a custom recovery installed like ClockworkMod. You say "faulty OS", that might actually be a hardware malfunction caused by water damage. In which case it's new phone time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yep you will need a pc and a program called odin. where did you get these files from? do you have a link?

for any firmware from samsung go to Download firmware updates for your Samsung mobile phone and tablet. it has instructions on how to flash a firmware update. the key though will be to make sure you flash the correct firmware. firrmwares are very device specific.....so make sure you get the correct model of phone you have.

Upvote 0
Yea, tried Odin, I can't access the phone via PC though. From the root meny on the phone I can find an option to restore from SD. I'm sure I found the right firmware, but the filesize was too big. I know that I some years ago tried to fix my HTC, and found some custom firmwares (ie without bloatware) that I used to keep it going for a while longer. I bought it pre used so it didn't cost me a lot of money (only a lot of time ;) )

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones