• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sling Box owners rejoice!

I just bought the app, it's amazing.

I've used slingplayer on a moto Q, an ipaq rx3115, htc mogul, htc vogue, and htc diamond. Hands down the best experience yet is on android on my incredible.

Yes I wish there were more settings to tinker with, but so far the video quality is great.

Now we just need the TV out cable to exist so we can see if it is blocked by the app, because this will be awesome on vacation if TV out works.

Upvote 0
Yes. With the SlingBox and the Sling software on your phone you can control and watch whatever is on your home television on your phone.

Although the mobile version is 29.99 the software is free for the PC, so you can also watch anywhere using your laptop or PC.

Also, if you want to watch on your desktop or laptop you don't have to install the desktop software anymore. You can watch it directly through your browser at:

http://watch.slingbox.com

It isn't as robust as the desktop application but it works just fine.

Upvote 0
Which sling box model is everyone using and what model would you suggest?

I've been waiting for the app to come out to purchase one.

Thanks

slingbox solo
has: component, composite, and s-video inputs, all are pass-through so that if THAT's how you connect your current TV, then you won't lose that connection.

My Dish DVR has component and HDMI hookups, so the HDMI goes to my TV, and the component goes to the slingbox. Comes with a nice IR blaster that doesn't get in the way, and setup is a breeze. You won't even need to look at the manual really.

EDIT: also forgot to mention each of those connections is configurable separately. So, you could have your DVR into the component, a security cam or two into the composite and s-video. Alternately you could hook a dvd/blueray player to connect to one of those hookups, put a dvd in the player in the morning, then watch it from anywhere...

Upvote 0
Slingbox.com - SlingPlayer Mobile for Android

1. Connect slingbox to either your cable or sat box, via component, composite, s-video (or HDMI if you buy PRO-HD...not necessary for 1080i)

2. Connect slingbox to home router via ethernet

3. watch any content (all subscribed channels, DVR, PPV, whatever) on cell phone or PC via the sling app, or web browser, as if you were watching TV in your home.

Alternatively, if you have DishNetwork, there is a STB which has sling built-in (VIP922). The sling Solo box will work in most situations, and will support HD output on PC.

Is there a wireless option or must it be hard wired?

Upvote 0
slingbox solo
has: component, composite, and s-video inputs, all are pass-through so that if THAT's how you connect your current TV, then you won't lose that connection.

My Dish DVR has component and HDMI hookups, so the HDMI goes to my TV, and the component goes to the slingbox. Comes with a nice IR blaster that doesn't get in the way, and setup is a breeze. You won't even need to look at the manual really.

EDIT: also forgot to mention each of those connections is configurable separately. So, you could have your DVR into the component, a security cam or two into the composite and s-video. Alternately you could hook a dvd/blueray player to connect to one of those hookups, put a dvd in the player in the morning, then watch it from anywhere...

+1 on Sling Solo @ $140-$160, as it will provide 1080i output via component. No need to go to the PRO-HD for the extra $$$

Upvote 0
No, unless you can get a USB wireless dongle to work, but its doubtful.[/QUOTE

Slingbox does make a wireless product (I forget what is called, they have them at Best Buy) for $79 you get two units that plug into your device and then into an outlet. The Slingbox unit then finds your router via your electrical grid (as long as they are in the same fuse panel), pretty cool.

Upvote 0
Slingbox does make a wireless product (I forget what is called, they have them at Best Buy) for $79 you get two units that plug into your device and then into an outlet. The Slingbox unit then finds your router via your electrical grid (as long as they are in the same fuse panel), pretty cool.

That's right...forgot about that. I was mixing it up with the new Monsoon Vulkano.

Upvote 0
Now I just need to decide whether to stay with DirecTV and buy the Slingbox....or....switch to Dish and pick up the VIP922 DVR receiver that has it built in. Does anyone happen to have this receiver? And can comment on it?

I have Dish, with (2) "Dual-tuner" boxes (VIP622 and VIP222). Each box can support (2) TVs with HD via a local connection (HDMI, component) and a second TV with SD via coax (though you can still watch HD channels/DVR content/PPV).

The VIP922 (w/built-in sling) can support only (1) TV locally, however the 2nd tuner, which allows you to watch content independently from the primary tuner, is what is accessible via sling. I prefer having a "Dual Tuner" box, with external slingbox, just because I can always watch the 2nd TV "locally" if I want.

FWIW, DishNetwork also has a few "wireless/WiFi" options for getting HD content to other TVs:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/tveverywhere/default.aspx

Upvote 0

Use this as a last resort. I went this route before (router and Slingbox were one room apart) and although this method works its nowhere near as good as being hardwired from your router to the Slingbox.

Upvote 0
No, unless you can get a USB wireless dongle to work, but its doubtful.

Or you can use an Ethernet to wireless bridge. Sometimes called wireless video game adapters. You can usually find them for $30-50 on Amazon. Or if you have an old router hanging around that can run DD-WRT you can turn that into a bridge.

I have my Slingbox plugged into an Ethernet to wireless bridge and it works fine. Not as great as hard wired but what is?

Upvote 0
Or you can use an Ethernet to wireless bridge. Sometimes called wireless video game adapters. You can usually find them for $30-50 on Amazon. Or if you have an old router hanging around that can run DD-WRT you can turn that into a bridge.

I have my Slingbox plugged into an Ethernet to wireless bridge and it works fine. Not as great as hard wired but what is?

I'd think that there would be driver issues, but if it works, go for it.

Upvote 0
I haven't found any way to tweak the settings yet, or to even view the statistics. Older versions of SlingPlayer Mobile (I had it on my HTC PPC-6800 and Touch Pro) had that capability, but as someone posted above the new version seems to configure everything automatically.

I played with it last night for quite a while (as previously posted, I have a Slingbox AV) and I'm not sure there's any way to clean up the audio. I don't think it's a 3g issue as my signal is very strong... I think it may be an audio driver issue, or that the older Slingbox might use a different audio codec that the new version of SlingPlayer doesn't play well with. Since I'm now rooted :D I'm going to poke around in the config files for SlingPlayer and see if there are any variables in there that might be worth tweaking a little.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones