• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Slow connectivity with external WiFi

A lot of the time when I'm out and about, I'll connect to a WiFi hotspot or WiFi where I work, and I'll try to access a page and it'll take forever to connect - if at all. I get frustrated and turn off WiFi, and boom - the page loads. But now, I'm burning my data minutes. Is there some kind of setting or security or something that may be slowing me down?

I will suggest that the WiFi you are trying to use at slow times, just has too much traffic on it, and with the limited bandwidth that a lot of retail stores provide us, it is more of a "Sales Gimmick" than a useful feature...

they just want you to come inside and spend your money. McDonald's seems to be pretty fast for me, a couple of their neighbors who sell terriache (sp) are decent, and the chicken outlet is so slow as to be useless.

at home, my WiFi360 app reports a 130 mBps transfer rate to the router.... but, that is throttled down "real fast" at the ADSL rate of about 5 mBps....

it depends on the internet bandwidth purchased at the stores... and possibly by the quality of the WiFi router they have.

To help you put this into perspective. My ADSL if nobody is online at home, gives me 14.5 mBps.
But, when NetFlix is streaming a movie to our TV, http://speedof.me/ reports that my download rate is now 4.5 mBps...

Bandwidth is a shared thing, spread it around to several users, and none of you can get "full speed".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones