• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Slow GPS

stubbyd

Feb 3, 2011
Is it just my HTC HD or is the GPS On these units ultra slow.

In some un-scientific tests:

• it took >20m to acquire GPS lock whilst travelling down a motorway
  • whilst sat still and HTC on seat next to me (outside) it took over 5m to acquire a lock
  • whilst in London last week it failed to acquire a lock when sat outside teh science museum

When I had an iPhone 3GS then the same tests would take max of 1m to acquire lock. And one of my hobbies is geocaching - with my iPhone it was a real battery drainer and I expect that is no real difference on the HTC HD but would have expected a quicker lock. These times will make it unusable for most circumstances.

So ... is it just my HTC HD or is there a fix or is this a known issue? And can I do anything about it?

I'm on 2.2 if it makes a diff.

Before anybody harangues me I did do a search for this and didn't find anything which is why I've asked.

Since asking a colleague who has the same phone suggested trying it without the case on and unbelievably it picked up 10 sats and acquired a lock within 1m or so ....

So that set me looking some more and I found this:
Quick GPS - xda-developers

Which basically suggests ensuring you have a specific file which I do but I edited it to use UK NTP time servers rather than US ones. That didn't do much but installing GPS Status from the market now gives me a lock in approx 1m with my case on ...

That'll do me - just need to test a few other scenarios now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones