• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Slow Hotspot through speeds fixed!!!

tmwilsoniv

Jul 3, 2010
I was very frustrated with what seemed to be a problem with the Hotspot through speeds on my laptop; they maxed at 1.5 mbps regardless of any tower to device speed. Neither Sprint nor HTC could tell me what, if any, drop in speed to expect.

After a week of controlled speed tests, and much assistance from the Towson Sprint store and Towson Best Buy, we proved that my Evo was producing the same tower to device speeds through the Hotspot modem to all of the test laptops, just not mine.

Over-writing all of the Dell drivers... no effect.
Over-writing all of the Dell chip sets... no effect
Replacing the Dell 1370 WLAN B+G card w/ new B+G+N card... no effect

I decided to remove my existing anti-virus (AVG), download the Trend-Micro Housecall, and start from scratch. After removing the AVG and while preparing for the Trend download, I noticed the laptop to be a little snappier than before. I ran a quick speed test and could not believe my eyes, 4.45 mbps!

With the AVG removed, Avast and Comodo installed, Windows firewall down, I am indeed getting tower to device speeds on my laptop.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones