• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Smartphone without a data plan????

ckali7

Jan 12, 2010
So the wife's dumbphone was stolen from Starbucks today after she left it on the table for 10 mins......Someone had already tried making calls, texts, and download ringtones by the time we had called VZ to deactivate. I'm guessing they texted themselves first so I called the number and politely asked them to return it. Anyway.......My question is this, now that we have deactivated it and probably won't be getting it back. Is it possible to pick up a used android phone (maybe a eris or moto droid1) and activate it without the data plan. She doesn't use that much data and would be fine only using it on Wifi at home or work. This would be a great option for her and would save us a bit of $$ by not having to add another $30 data package. Anyone know if this is possible??
Thanks
CK

Might be accurate if you added "on Verizon" to your statement (if indeed VZ requires a data plan). As it is, I have a phone smart Android phone on T-Mobile and it works just fine without a data plan. Many people have done this exact same thing. Mine connects via WiFi and runs just fine.

Since this thread is in the Verizon forum, that should already be understood...

Upvote 0
A smart phone without data plan is no longer a smart phone. The "smart-ness" relies on data.

You might want to consider a featured phone instead. In this day and age, the featured phones are pretty good. For example, the Pantech Crux does not require data plan and it is a very nice phone.

Any feature phone with VZW requires a data plan, similar to smartphones. This requirement has been there for quite a few months now.

Upvote 0
The above poster said he uses his Android without a data plan, using wifi. I am probably going to do the same when my contract Is up. Cancel my account and use my phone with WiFi, since it's in many places.

To the poster that does this, what *doesn't work on my phone when using wifi only? I realize I won't be able to make phone calls, but I only use about 30 minutes a month now.

Doesn't Skype use data? Is there any other voip calling for Android? I'm looking forward to saving $68 a month!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones