• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

jackburnt

Android Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2009
Auburn, AL
So my wife and I went over on our text messaging (I'm glad she went over too, or I'd gotten an earfull. Now she can't say too much).

Anyway, any recommendations for an SMS counter app? I dunno if Handcent has one built in, but I'd like one that retains all data between changing/updating ROMs.

I have the 250 messaging package. Text messaging is ridiculous in price.

Don't know of any counters off-hand but you can check your account online or with the Verizon app, it's pretty up to date.
There are alternatives to texts, GTalk doesn't go against your txts and if you text your wife a lot it may come in handy! I use it a lot, it's not great but it certainly gets the job done.
I know there are others out there but I haven't used them so won't list them in case I mis-speak ;)

Upvote 0
+1 for Gtalk if you're talking to other people with Android phones. I actually prefer it over SMS since it's a little quicker sending/receiving and it works pretty much the same way SMS does on the phone.

As for keeping track of your SMS usage, I'm not sure of a counter app for your phone, but if you use "Personal Assistant" in the market you can easily add your Verizon account info to the app and be able to keep track of all usage and balances on your account. I use it for all my banking, Netflix, utility accounts and tracking travel rewards (sky miles) too. It's been an awesome app for me so far for keeping track of all bills and services :).

Upvote 0
I did the math on this once.. I also have the 250 plan and I have gone over, in like 3+ years, 4 times and each time, the fee per text I went over was cheaper than going to the $10 per month rate which I would never use... so that is more of a waste of money than using the 250 and rarely going over and paying the like $2-3 in extra fees.. so do the math, and check how many you actually use, before you change.

Next, Handcent does have one, but never paid attention if it is accurate.

Next, I just use the MyVerizon app to log in and check on actual numbers.

Last, I would also love an app that could pop a message when it counted xxx number text sent/received - though I would rarely need it :) but not seen something that simple.

ohh.. and for friends that have the Droid like you and/or gMail and use the gMail chat, just switch over to the included Talk app and chat and avoid texting

Upvote 0
BTW, tried that "Free Widget" and it was WAAAAYYY off.

Like by about 100 text as compared to the VZW site!

I ended up downloading Free Widget and SMS counter to check them out. SMS counter wasn't really reliable, because you could only set up to show number of texts per last week, month, etc.

Free Widget seemed way off, at first, but then I changed the "period starts" date, and it seemed to be much more reliable (my plan just restarted today, so My Verizon is still showing everything from last month). To go into the preferences on Free Widget, you need to click on the right hand side. It took my several tries to find the spot to access the preferences. On a side note, Free Widget also keeps track of your minutes used.

Upvote 0
so thanks for the tip on getting into the settings section. I changed my date and it is still WAY off.

so, then I went into the free settings section to tell the widget I get 250 free, but then decided to change it to 0 so it just counted all texts - that was my logic. now, I can't get to the settings section again! POS.

Was the number displayed correct after you adjusted it? I think you want to try clicking on the little sun icon in the upper right.

I downloaded Stats and Phonalyzer to give them a shot, but neither one has widgets.

Upvote 0
no, number was not displayed correctly, still way off. did you notice in the settings is asks if you get txt messages for free and in that setting it is default to 100. so, that made me wonder.. if I get 250, wouldn't I put 250 in there. but then I thought, if I did that, it would not start to count until after the 250. so, it made sense to set it to 0 so it counted all texts.. but then, that somehow bricked my ability to ever get backed into the settings.. so I trashed it as it was wrong anyway pre and post my setting change.

I tried Phonalyzer last month... way off also so I trashed it.

so far, nothing works as good as the MyVerizon app. it is lame to have to log in to get your stats, but it is correct and up to date.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones