• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SMS lost after upgrading to Android 2.3

Hi!

Today I received an Android OTA update to Android 2.3.3
The update process was successful but I lost all SMS messages (or they are somewhere but not visible?).
Did this happen to anyone?

I have both: default (stock) Messages application and also GO SMS. And I've been using both. Now there are no messages in both programs.

Regards,
Stander

Hi!

Today I received an Android OTA update to Android 2.3.3
The update process was successful but I lost all SMS messages (or they are somewhere but not visible?).
Did this happen to anyone?

I have both: default (stock) Messages application and also GO SMS. And I've been using both. Now there are no messages in both programs.

Regards,
Stander

Not 100% sure mate, but I think that you've lost them :mad:

Reactions: Stander
Upvote 0
That's my feeling too.

Not wanting to rub salt in the wound, but maybe it will remind people of the importance of backing up all the important stuff before allowing any major system changes.

I'm sorry it's happened to you and hope you've not lost anything that matters.

Know it doesn't help, but I recently decided to root... had to downgrade to a stock HTC rom (as my version was unrootable) and when the phone came back to life, I'd lost everything... including a load of contacts, as I hadn't done a sync with my gmail account! At least you only lost texts (although it is still quite bad)!

Sorry again!

Upvote 0
Not 100% sure mate, but I think that you've lost them :mad:
Thanks for the reply.
Frankly, they were not very important for me but I'm wondering whether everything went fine and whether the update was really successful. I hope it was. The only possible reason I can suspect is that two new messages arrived during the update. So maybe they somehow disturbed the update process and thus all messages were deleted :thinking:

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.
Frankly, they were not very important for me but I'm wondering whether everything went fine and whether the update was really successful. I hope it was. The only possible reason I can suspect is that two new messages arrived during the update. So maybe they somehow disturbed the update process and thus all messages were deleted :thinking:

Don't think it should have made too much difference that you got messages whilst updating, although I can't say for sure - sorry!! Is your phone working? Have you noticed it not being able to do anything that it could do before?

Upvote 0
That's my feeling too.

Not wanting to rub salt in the wound, but maybe it will remind people of the importance of backing up all the important stuff before allowing any major system changes.

I'm sorry it's happened to you and hope you've not lost anything that matters.
Yeah, thanks. I still rack my brain trying to understand why I did not make any backups.

Don't think it should have made too much difference that you got messages whilst updating, although I can't say for sure - sorry!! Is your phone working? Have you noticed it not being able to do anything that it could do before?

Yeah, the phone seems to work fine.

But I noticed the following 'problems':
- I'm not sure but it looks like the phone loses reception more frequently.
- Seems like the Locations app or its maps got uninstalled during the update. No maps could be found and I had to download and install them once again.
- The battery runs down much faster although I didn't notice any significant changes in Settings. Seems all my settings were preserved.

Maybe it would be a good idea to reset and restore the phone to default factory settings?
I can export my contacts, make a copy of my photos. I don't have any other personal files on the SD card. I only have a few photos and 3 or 4 applications downloaded from the Android Market.
What do you think?

Upvote 0
Yeah, thanks. I still rack my brain trying to understand why I did not make any backups.

Think this happens to a lot of people (at least once, as you remember to do backups if you've suffered before)

Yeah, the phone seems to work fine.

But I noticed the following 'problems':
- I'm not sure but it looks like the phone loses reception more frequently.

Not sure on this - I'm on Orange in the UK and where I live is really rubbish reception anyway!

- Seems like the Locations app or its maps got uninstalled during the update. No maps could be found and I had to download and install them once again.

I lost loads of data/apps when I rooted my phone... just had to d/l them again!

- The battery runs down much faster although I didn't notice any significant changes in Settings. Seems all my settings were preserved.

Not sure on this one... there are a couple of threads on here that show how to reset the battery... perhaps one of these could help.

Maybe it would be a good idea to reset and restore the phone to default factory settings?

This may sort your battery probs - not 100% sure.

I can export my contacts,

You should be able to sync them to your gmail account

make a copy of my photos.

Make a new file on your desktop and copy all data (including any hidden files) from the SD card (which has to be connected as "disk drive") in to the file. This way, you will be able to re-copy back to the SD card, should it be wiped (although I think that doing a factory reset should only affect the phone (and it's internal memory) not the SD card)

I don't have any other personal files on the SD card. I only have a few photos and 3 or 4 applications downloaded from the Android Market.
What do you think?

Hope this helps you to sort your problems! :D

Upvote 0
Thanks!!
I guess after restoring factory settings my Android will be downgraded to version 2.2 (?)
And if so, do you think I will receive the 2.3.3 OTA update from HTC once again?

Not 100% sure on that... I would have thought that it wipes all data, etc. but doesn't downgrade the firmware, so you should still be on 2.3.3

Upvote 0
Not 100% sure on that... I would have thought that it wipes all data, etc. but doesn't downgrade the firmware, so you should still be on 2.3.3
Hmm... Probably you are right. I thought I would reset the system to the previous version and then I would be able to install 2.3.3 afresh and this way I'll be sure that the upgrade is installed correctly.

BTW,
As for the battery - I found a few topic concerning similar issues:
Android 2.3.3 problems on HTC Desire HD - Google Mobile Help

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi,

before updating my phone I was concerned about my contacts and sms messages, so I backed up contacts using SE software but for SMS I just used the phone option which was available for transferring messages, I dont remember exact phrase which was available on my X10, but on message page I pressed the "more" button and there was another option to transfer messages to memory card,

but now since the messaging app has been changed there is no "more" option and it only has delete and setting buttons,
any idea how can I restore my messages?:thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones