1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

so i downloaded setcpu...

1. roadrunnersk

roadrunnersk Member

And then realized that the stock kernel doesn't allow you to overclock past 1ghz. So I messed around with it and later uninstalled it. I think that when I removed it my processor was set at max 350 mhz lol. Does it go back to normal when I remove the app? Running virtuous if it matters...

:) thank you!

Advertisement
  2. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

Could you just re-install it and monitor the frequency? I don't know the answer to your question, but if you decided to use setcpu it could be advantageous even with the stock kernel as you can set a "screen-off" profile where the cpu stays at 245mHz therefor getting better battery life.
    crazyg0od33 likes this.
  3. crazyg0od33

crazyg0od33 Well-Known Member

yeah the app is worth it whether yoiu are on a different kernel or not. Screen off profiles save lots of battery life, and then when/if you decide to try another kernel, you can OC it.
  4. roadrunnersk

roadrunnersk Member

Yeah... guess I'll reinstall. If anyone dies know, chime in :) I'm gonna go check the frequencies then. Thanks for the tip jbdan.
  5. Hitmanthe3rd

Hitmanthe3rd Well-Known Member

Does the Screen Off Frequency Set itself? Or do you have to Click it everytime your ready to turn on the screen on?
  6. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

This is my understanding so far about setcpu and different kernels.

If your on a stock htc kernel a "Screen off profile" might not work correctly unless perflock is/or can be disabled. With a kernel such as kings or hydra a "screen off profile" should work correctly. aka when your screen turns off setcpu will set your cpu to your custom profile.

Of course you have to "enable" profiles as well for all this to work.

So short answet to your question is NO it does it's thing in the background if your setup meets all the requirements. Check out setcpu's homepage it helped me. Setcpu is kernel dependent to some extent.
  7. pkmn760

pkmn760 Well-Known Member

cant you disable perflock on stock kernal to make it work?
  8. TheWhiteBandito

TheWhiteBandito Well-Known Member

Yes you can disable perflock, it's built into SetCPU

Also, install System Panel if you need to check what your CPU is running at. I'm pretty sure if you uninstall SetCPU, it resets all defaults.
  9. crazyg0od33

crazyg0od33 Well-Known Member

hit menu on the main page, then disable perflock to disable it
  10. Hitmanthe3rd

Hitmanthe3rd Well-Known Member

What I also Do not understand is. Do you have to have SetCPU up to set those profiles? I notice everytime I turn my Screen off and turn it back on and go into Advanced Task killer. Its already up. So Im assuming its doing what I want it to. I also noticed my battery loses almost NO percentage when I have the screen off.
  11. tudmf

tudmf Well-Known Member

Thanks to rmk and adrynalyne. Not sure what Roms this kernal will run on, but I highly suggest Virtuous. This has the Perflock disabled.

12. EricS96521

EricS96521 Well-Known Member

Just use Overclock Widget. It can be found in the market. No buying, but it doesn't allow you to do custom settings. You can set your minimum cpu and max cpu usage and set the min/max for when the screen is turned off. I save a ton of battery doing this. I also have Kingxkernels BFS#2 installed.

Just make sure not to set the cpu too high or your phone will freeze and reboot. And if you select it to start on boot before you figure out the right cpu setting, your phone will go into an endless reboot. I have mine set at min:245760 and max:998400. Of course you can set the max lower for when the screen is on to save even more battery.