• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So the Evo is a Hummer?

Eventually owning an "Apple" anything will not be such a huge status symbol. It can be replaced.

Yes, apple is in many ways following the aol model, and like aol once it becomes common knowledge that apple dumbs things down, they will either have to smarten up or become a point of negative status like AOL did.

You can froth at the mouth as rabid fanboys all you like but if anyone believes this is the best all around smartphone out...your standards are rather low imo. Sprint data plans, pricing and coverage have been the biggest factor for staying and waiting for a much better built smartphone. HTC failed in terms of quality on the Evo in many ways.

Evos remain in fact the best all around smartphones out right now. Build quality issues do not matter, as people who keep them will be satisfied with what they have. The vast majority, such as myself, are (never had a problem with the build, ever). The DroidX kind of underdelivered and the Vibrant is T-crippled. Maybe when the Epic comes out the answer will change but for now the Evo still is it.

Upvote 0
Heh, Everyone has their mistakes.

Coke 2, Pepsi Clear, Cross Fire Fuel Injection, Mustang II, Kin, Schlitz new snot beer formula, etc etc.

Hopefully they can recover, because as much as I will never own an iPhone, I still believe the product is solid..... (I don't like them because of Att, and because of the Apple grip on development)

Hey now, I liked pepsi clear...

Upvote 0
Apple does a great job of belittling their competition as part of their marketing strategy. They did it for Windows and now they are doing it for phones. But Apple used to be the company that was different instead of the mainstream and they seem to have forgotten that part of their history. I also remember when they were one quarter away from not being a company too. They forget that consumers are a fickle bunch. Stick to one carrier with a phone that is quickly being caught up to (or surpassed) for quality and ease of use and you'll end up losing market share.

From what I understand Google is working on usability next for it's OS. Once it does that and makes it as easy and "fool proof" as the iPhone OS (there are a LOT of iPhone users who don't use any of the capabilities of the phone...my wife is one of them) while maintaining the ability for us to root and customize (huge props for all the developers out there!) then Apple's heyday will be over and that's just a matter of time. Especially as the cost of these phones is soon going to drop. Imagine getting an Evo free for just signing a contract? Those days are coming.

james

Upvote 0
Apple does a great job of belittling their competition as part of their marketing strategy. They did it for Windows and now they are doing it for phones. But Apple used to be the company that was different instead of the mainstream and they seem to have forgotten that part of their history. I also remember when they were one quarter away from not being a company too. They forget that consumers are a fickle bunch. Stick to one carrier with a phone that is quickly being caught up to (or surpassed) for quality and ease of use and you'll end up losing market share.

From what I understand Google is working on usability next for it's OS. Once it does that and makes it as easy and "fool proof" as the iPhone OS (there are a LOT of iPhone users who don't use any of the capabilities of the phone...my wife is one of them) while maintaining the ability for us to root and customize (huge props for all the developers out there!) then Apple's heyday will be over and that's just a matter of time. Especially as the cost of these phones is soon going to drop. Imagine getting an Evo free for just signing a contract? Those days are coming.

james

The ironic part of apple badmouthing Microsoft, it was Microsoft who kept them in business.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones