• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So you want the perfect DROID? Here's what ya do...

Messenger maybe its just me...but you come off awfully cocky.

I learned long ago that I am not going to be liked by everyone. And I'm "ok" with that. I'm very comfortable in my own skin. I try to give as much good information as possible, and try to give people the best advice that I can. Of course, this "good advice" is riddled with my opinion, naturally.

I was "cocky" 20 years ago. Now I'm just confident. ;)

Upvote 0
I learned long ago that I am not going to be liked by everyone. And I'm "ok" with that. I'm very comfortable in my own skin. I try to give as much good information as possible, and try to give people the best advice that I can. Of course, this "good advice" is riddled with my opinion, naturally.

I was "cocky" 20 years ago. Now I'm just confident. ;)

To each his own! I wasn't trying to affront you or anything. You know how forums can be opaque. Just rooted my droid BTW on all Yall's advice.

Upvote 0
I was the guy who posted the T9 a few posts back, and respect those opinions from others, but probably didn't make myself clear. I was referring to superdial using t9 for dial by name. Not using t9 for texting or writing etc.

When I got my droid, I couldn't believe that the dialer didn't have a dial by name capability! Lots of posts were about 'just speaking the name into voice search' etc.

Maybe I talk like I have marbles in my mouth, but when I do this, the name is right, or it brings up a google web page with thename, not the contact in my address book.

Superdial has this capability to dial the name via the keypad.

Maybe there is something I am missing, or there is a better way to bring up names in the stock dialer, or a better dialer than superdial.

Upvote 0
I personally can't stand you, Joe. :D

You have JIT enabled through Bugless Beast? What does it do for you, and can you give any insight as to why it's problematic for the Sholes ROM?
-(They've recently deleted the option to install it with their ROM due to problems.)

YOU can't stand me? How do you think I feel? :eek: I gotta live with this moron 24/7! :mad:

But anyhue...

I "had" JIT enabled when I was using Pete's ROMs. I recently (on the sly) switched over to Sholes' ROMs without JIT. I'm not noticing any difference in speed and I'm running at 1 GHz, instead of 1.1. I may enable JIT just to see what it does to my M/Flops scores.

Wanna learn about "JIT" ... go to WIKI! :p They say it better than I could. ;)

Upvote 0
I finally rooted/rom'd bugless beauty/almost completed my sweeterhome2 theme. My droid is running awesome now. The only lag of ANY kind is at startup, after that it's awesome. Thank you! Curious if you have had any problems in sweeterhome2 using beautiful smaller home widget. When mine loads up it doesn't show the day/date in the bottom left until I go into edit mode and back out.... search for "scootsdroid" theme if you want to see what I mean. again, thank you

Upvote 0
agreed. launcher 2 is simply not happy on my phone running at 1 GHz - Sweeter is the way to go, but it requires a lot of customization on your end of the deal. The plus side is, if you have the time, patience, and wherewithal to experiment with the settings, it turns into one really bad-ass home replacement app.

You can also implement someone else's theme of Sweeter Home and tweak it to your tastes. I had used Preview 1 and from what I'm reading about Preview 2, there will be no other home screen replacement that will match this. I just haven't had the time and patience yet to dive in. Hoping a theme comes along that is similar to what I'm thinking about and work off of that.

Upvote 0
Last attempt here.

DOES this rom offer improved overall system performance from 2.0.1?

When you say this rom, which are you talking about? There are several custom ROMS that you can install and all have their advantages. In my opinion, Bugless Beast is pretty stripped down and made for performance, while Shules has tons of added functionality, but that comes at a small performance hit.

The straight forward answer is the performance isn't significantly better. However, rooting does allow to overclock which greatly increases performance. With a utility called setCPU, this overclocking can be done in such a manner to actually help with battery performance and have a failsafe is your temperatures get too high.

Upvote 0
Launcher2! Launcher2!
(Good for those who do not want to root and just wait out the 2.1 update.)

agreed with everyone. this launcher is not optimized yet. its quite unstable and makes everything much slower. my phone is better without it. BB 7.5 is the way to go. sholes is great too (since it's the easiest way to root your phone).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones