SOB I got the OTA nag while on a custom Rom

Last Updated:

1. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ # This Topic's Starter

Well this is annoying. I'm on Myn's Warm 2.2 and Andrynalyne's kernel and still got the OTA nag. Didn't accept it.

I didn't get the update for 2.2 when on a custom Rom and I could see it continually failing when running a logcat. Gonna need some sort of workaround it seems.

Advertisement
  2. Esance

Esance Member

I got the update too and im rooted using uncommon sense i just accepted the update, it said it was counting down to reboot but never actually rebooted. The alert hasnt popped up since.

3. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

Yeah I got it this morning after flashing from CM6 to Skyraider 3.3 . It comes up pretty regularly . Guessing I'll have to accept it tonight and redo some shit

4. iowabowtech

That's encouraging.

5. iowabowtech

Found a couple ways to fix it on XDA. Easiest is as follows:

-Open Root Explorer and make sure you're mounted as Read/Write
    -Navigate to /system and long press on build.prop, then select the "Open in text editor" option
    -Find the line that contains "FRF91/XXXXXX:user..." and replace that 6 digit number with 264707
    -Then hit Menu > Save and exit
    -Reboot

The notification will probably still be in your notification bar. Bring it up and then hit the back button. Give it a little time and it will go away for good. I've rebooted and waited for about a half hour now and it's not coming back.

Credit to XDA member Div033 for the fix.

6. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Well-Known Member

i haven't gotten a notification yet, but i did the build prop change and haven't been asked.

mosesthemouse likes this.
  7. iowabowtech

Even better yet. :)

8. SynisterWolf

SynisterWolf Well-Known Member

I just removed the updater from my Rom's each time I change and I will never get it. Don't know why people don't just do that with there Rom's before release. I'm rooted and have no need to know when an update is out.

9. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

What? You're not on MIUI yet? Admittedly, I have SR 3.3 on a nandroid as well as Redemptive 2.0, but I haven't gone back to them is a week or two. Have you tried miui yet? Weekly rebuilds which satisfies my flashing addiction too. Check it out.

MIUI-DEV Forums • View forum - HTC Incredible

10. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I tried to flash it when I had an extra Incredible to play with but couldn't get it going ( I think I was just getting bad downloads) . I saw the videos and the screen shots and it didn't really seem like my cup of tea. But I'm not liking SkyRaider at all so I might as well give Miui a go especially if you're reccomending it ha
    How have you been?

11. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Thanks, been good, just really busy. They cut my network staff so we're all doing 2 or 3 jobs and it's getting stressful. But at least I have a job so no complaints.
    Ok, here's the deal on Miui as I see it. There is no sense whatsoever, everything you thought you knew you don't. The menus are different, widgets are different, stock programs somewhat different, and the look is completely different. This is really vanilla AOSP at the core. Naturally, you can use Launcher Pro for a look that you like, a lot of folks do that. I kind of like the iPhone-ish look but I might get tired of it at some point. Then I would use LP. I've put a bunch of things into folders on my home screen and it's very functional.

Anyway, it's worth a shot. I liked SR when I used it then I went to Redemptive R and really liked that. Lou just now released RR 2.1 which should be very cool, I already have it downloaded and will install it tonight to check it out. That sense rom and miui will be my only ones for now. If you flash it, let me know what you think. Give it a couple of days, it will take some time to get used to it. Take care, chat soon.

12. Todd M

Todd M Well-Known Member

This is the default setup in Virtuous 3.1. I checked it and it is already this way so users of that ROM shouldn't be nagged. In theory, at least...

13. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

RR 2.1 has the latest patches built in so no nag or update needed. I just loaded it last night and it is the fastest thing I have ever seen. It's actually so fast that the flip transitions are hard to see. Going to stick with this one for a while and update Miui this weekend. Battery life on the new miui has been awful but the look of it is very cool. Back to sense for now.

14. 20twins10

20twins10 Member

thanks for the post.. im on skyraider 3.3 and just applied the fix, rebooted and the notification dropped off the screen.. i'll wait and see if it pops back up.. ..

15. Old Member

Old Member Well-Known Member

I've tried MIUI, I hate the AppPhone similarities. When I tried it, it was pretty new. I didn't have a lot of issues but there was no way to organize your apps in alphabetical order or any order that makes sense in an easy way. If I took the time and trouble to alphabetize my apps then organize them on different desktops maybe, but it seems like too much trouble.

The only Pros I found when I played with it were that the bottom tray was so easily customizable.

16. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

That's a big one for me, (customizable bottom tray) and I actually like the non sense feel and silly little iPhone icons. But it's the folders that I love. They are transparent and help organize my method of working on the phone. I only have one or 2 actual icons on my homescreen, the rest are folders. I went back to it today after playing with RR which is blazing fast. But it's boring.

17. Hand76

Hand76 Guest

Just a quick question...Those numbers for build.prop (264707) is that the new update number?

Will we have to change that number again in order to stop future updates from coming through?

18. beyond_the_veil

beyond_the_veil New Member

Many thanks!

19. Stockmoose16

Stockmoose16 Well-Known Member

Only problem is build.prop is READ ONLY on my phone. Now what to do I do?

20. dcfan99

dcfan99 Well-Known Member

Use Root Explorer. At the top of the screen is a button that says mount as r/w, once you do that you can make the changes.

21. 4x4le

4x4le Well-Known Member

Im not sure what Im supposed to change, or if its different for some reason on this rom. I did scroll down further, but none of that looked anything like what Im looking for. I can scroll down further if needed to take screen shots.
    [​IMG]

22. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

23. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

What ROM, just run my OTA deodexed ROM

24. 4x4le

4x4le Well-Known Member

Its skyraider 3.2
    I love the appearance of it, i love how fast and bugless it is, its the best rom i have ran, and i didnt even like the 3.3 update so i went back. I really dont want to change such a good thing i have going with my phone. I really just want nagging for the ota to stop, as well as my brother and business partner that feel the same way about 3.2

25. iowabowtech

It's further down the page. Have to scroll a little bit and its in a slightly longer chunk of text.