• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Soft Brick Help (fixed) READ PLS

BackHandLegend

Android Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2012
I flashed CWM 6.1 and then installed CM11 build 7. Wanted to go back to Stockwalk and so I wiped everything and then flashed. Stuck on bootloop. Virgin Mobile comes on the screen and then the LED light keeps changing colors.

If I flash CM11 again it boots and all, but I cant revert back to stock roms. WTF. Tried Clockwork 6.0.3 and 6.1. Neither works. Have also tried different zips for stockwalk.

EVERYONE LISTEN.... SERIOUSLY DON'T MESS AROUND ALWAYS MAKE BACKUPS. LESSON LEARNED. I AM LIVING PROOF. I looked and miraculously found a backup I had made a while ago. OMG I'm so lucky.

TAKE THE TIME TO MAKE A BACKUP NOW! (because no matter how experienced you are some other universe is going inside your volt, that universe may need your saving :p)

I have a theory (unless otherwise already known) that since CM uses a different kernel, our current recoveries cannot flash back to stock. I believe this in part because I couldn't successfully install CM11 without Recovery 6.1... Couldn't flash back to stock with 6.1 and when I went back to CM I flashed 6.0.3 and then tried to flash stock... Wouldn't work. Perhaps Devs might want to study my issue even for 5 minutes?

Last edited:
Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0
Just to clear up some misconceptions, we are using a stock zv4 kernel to build recoveries. The ramdisk is where things differ, and that is unavoidable as every other phone with cwm or twrp has very close to the same ramdisk we have. Nothing we can do about that. Where I believe the issue is, I think its in the fstab files, and I've been fighting those for a while.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones