• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Soft card

kardar2

Lurker
Jul 6, 2013
Hello All,
I am hoping you all can explain something to this 50 year old.
What is the whole purpose of the soft card pay system ? I always have my wallet on me and every where I have a loyalty card I just give them my phone number. So I am not sure how easy or hard it is to use. I would think I could pull my wallet out quicker than taking out my phone unlocking it opening the app. And clicking on which card to use. Do I have this thought right or am I missing something. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: steiny180
There's not much time saved. It's nice if you are out biking or something and don't bring your wallet, but have your phone. I think the other advantage is that the merchant doesn't get your real credit card number, so when they are hacked, they only have a card number that's been assigned to your wallet. I'm not sure about softcard, but think that's how google wallet and apple pay work.

I have google wallet set up with a few different credit cards and have added all of my loyalty cards, plus gift cards. Having the gift cards there without carrying them around is nice, though I don't know if all merchants will accept a number/bardcode instead of a physical card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones