• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [SOLVED] - HTC Desire - RED (not amber) charging led

Praet0ri4n

Lurker
May 19, 2012
Hey folks,

I am starting a new thread. It means I ran out of search results and hope and I dont know if there is any suitable solution for my desire at all.

My problem is, that unusual red light is lighting when charging. I was used to have amber (orange) for charging and green for fully charged on my desire.
Now it only shows RED color at all and it turns off as soon as I unplug my AC. It wont turn green even when 100% charged, it instead turns off right after finished charging.

My desire is rooted and the last ROM I was playing with was RunnyRom 6.0, which indeed offers a "Led Me Know Fix". I am not sure about it, but I believe, that the problem could have arised from that one installation. I have not an exact idea of what may have happened with the status lights and color settings and what exactly this fix does.

Even worse, my notifications of incoming e-mail and sms do not light up. Sound and visual popups are playing well though. The only kind of notifications is a blinking red at emails and sms while charging (AC plugged in).

What I tried so far:
- reinstall Runny with classic amber-green LED lights setting
- flash other roms (ICS, GB, Sense, etc..)
- full wipe / reset / format / wiped almost everything that can be wiped. The final step would be flashing new HBOOT, but is it advisable?
- clear storage from bootloader
- I took battery out for several minutes
- batt calibration
- Led Me Know App from Market (not helpfull at all), tried to change colors and settings, but LED wont blink
- installed handcent sms, but again, no LED notification
I did not try with another battery. I tried with different chargers, all same.

Unfortunately I could not find any kind of advise how to "reset LED colors" or something of that kind. The other fact is, that the color remains the same even in recovery and somehow the problem seems to be ROM independent.

In fact, the color is not as important as getting the sms, gmail, etc notifications working again.

Any hint or reply is highly appreciated!!
Thank you!

EDIT: I found out, that my green LED is dead, sorry for this thread. May be helpfull for others. I used another version of "Led Me Know" with a LED Manager found here
xda-developers - View Single Post - LED me know BETA and testing all three colors resulted in Amber and Blue working and Green not showing any sing of activity. The strange charging LED behaviour comes from red not beeing mixed with green and thus the charging status is not orange and 100% charged is not green :)

-------------------------------------------
8.6.2012 - EDIT:
I think I got it.
It is a loose contact somewhere beneath the SDcard or SIMcard. I realized that when pressing the back cover on a certain place, green led begins to flash (actually I had a new e-mail). Lucky coincidence.
Thank you all for advices! :rolleyes:

24.9.2012 - EDIT:
I could not live without green LED, so I have gone further.
I disasembled my whole HTC Desire following this guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXZqIjtFoAU and found the general problem.
Beneath the SDcard slot, exactly on the opposite site of the mobo, there is one big connector connecting the upper and the bottom part of mobo with black contact layer. This connector is very labile and already touching it releases it from the socket. I reseated it carefully, closed the phone and voila, I have green again!!!!
May all excuse my technical expression and may this be usefull to somebody ;)

Reactions: Hadron
Just for information, I tried to RUU and got stuck on HTC boot screen.. :( thanks to s-off in fastboot i was able to get my semi-brick back working..

But my question is now, if there is any reliable way to determine, that the green notification LED is broken or just stuck in a weird state. In case it is hw I wont bother again :) I just want to know for sure.

I heard about some diag mode running via ADB shell and so on, any hints? I am very little experienced with this..

Upvote 0
Download Lightflow from the market and test the range of led course are soil available.

Hi thanks for reply! I already did, LightFlow gets only blue and red working as well.

Since yesterday I also successfully managed to install a RUU, hoped that it would reset the software completely. It did, but green still does nothing. Thus I presume it has to be defect..:cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones