• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Some contacts don't show in search

dheymann

Aug 10, 2011
I have 2,240 contacts in Android contacts on my MoPho. When I search for some contacts, they don't show up, but when I scroll down to the contact it is there and accessible. Why do some contacts not show up in search? I have so far only noticed it on company contacts that don't have a persons name. Are you not allowed to search for a contact that doesn't have someones name?

This confused me at first to. For someone reason it just shows your most dialed I think. But if you look near the name it will give you the option to broaden it to contacts with the same numbers/letters you typed..

vGZ5J.png

Upvote 0
This confused me at first to. For someone reason it just shows your most dialed I think. But if you look near the name it will give you the option to broaden it to contacts with the same numbers/letters you typed..

vGZ5J.png

Your post is very helpful. Mine does not have a blue arrow like yours. It says "most recent" but touching it doesnt allow a change. Is there some setting i need to adjust?

Upvote 0
Thanks. That is very generous of you. I appreciate it.

Hey dheymann, sorry about not getting back to you yesterday (the hike took it out of me). Try doing this, go to your contacts then hit the button on your screen with four little squares. This will bring up your options than go to "display options". You should then see "Choose contacts to display", under this you should have Google and other options. Check each option to make sure everything has a check in the checkbox.

Upvote 0
Hey dheymann, sorry about not getting back to you yesterday (the hike took it out of me). Try doing this, go to your contacts then hit the button on your screen with four little squares. This will bring up your options than go to "display options". You should then see "Choose contacts to display", under this you should have Google and other options. Check each option to make sure everything has a check in the checkbox.

All are checked and no change. Anything else I can try? I really appreciate your help. D

Upvote 0
Hi
I had a similar problem, but I managed to solve it.
I saved the contact but then couldn't find it in search results. Typing the number showed me it in a Dialer, but not in search results. It was there somewhere, but wouldn't show.
Then I looked closer and found that when I found it in Dialer, I was able to dial the number. After dialling, I went to Call Log, and did Edit Contact from there.
I discovered that this contact, in the Groups section, just under Surname, was in the Default.
All my other contacts, imported from an old handset, were assigned to
My Contacts in the Groups section.
Therefore, I changed the one which I couldn't see in the search, in the
Groups section from Default to My Contacts, and now the contact shows up in search results.
Conclusion: When adding New Contact, always change in the Groups option from Default to My Contacts (or any other group), so it is not left not - assigned (Default) and shows up properly. Android seems to require you to make a decision in the Groups option, rather than leaving it unchanged (Default).
Hope it helps.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Thanks

Hi
I had a similar problem, but I managed to solve it.
I saved the contact but then couldn't find it in search results. Typing the number showed me it in a Dialer, but not in search results. It was there somewhere, but wouldn't show.
Then I looked closer and found that when I found it in Dialer, I was able to dial the number. After dialling, I went to Call Log, and did Edit Contact from there.
I discovered that this contact, in the Groups section, just under Surname, was in the Default.
All my other contacts, imported from an old handset, were assigned to
My Contacts in the Groups section.
Therefore, I changed the one which I couldn't see in the search, in the
Groups section from Default to My Contacts, and now the contact shows up in search results.
Conclusion: When adding New Contact, always change in the Groups option from Default to My Contacts (or any other group), so it is not left not - assigned (Default) and shows up properly. Android seems to require you to make a decision in the Groups option, rather than leaving it unchanged (Default).
Hope it helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones