• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Some Flashing Q's

Shane2943

Jun 17, 2011
Katy, TX
Hi everyone. :)

My coworker saw my rooted/rom'd Droid Charge and would like me to root his Fascinate so he can bask in the warm glow of root-i-ness. :D ;)

I've been reading up here, on XDA and Rootzwiki on the rooting process and on ROMs and such. Looks like the process is pretty similar to the Droid Charge. Have a couple Q's:

1) I've read, re-read, and re-re-read this guide here: [GUIDE] Installing a Rom/CWM recovery/Root or going back to Stock - xda-developers and am having trouble understanding the difference between a EH03, EH09, etc GB ROM and a MTD GB ROM. What is MTD?

2) I see that ICS is the new "thang" (as it is over on the Charge too but looks like the Fascinate is far closer to having a workable build) but is it really reliable yet? Being that my coworker is very green to this rooting thing (I'm no pro either), I'd like to get him something tried and true (least amount of bugs/issues), but fast with the benefits of a custom ROM. If it's not the latest/greatest, that's ok. We can always reflash down the line when he gets a bit more comfortable with ROMing his phone. He's on stock GB now.

3) Since he's stock, his file system is definitely rfs. Do the ROMs now days auto-format the file system to ext4 like they did on the Charge? Ext4 is preferable (unless it's a bad idea...but it runs so much better on the Charge than rfs).

I'm also going to have to look up how to do a NANdroid backup. Never done one.

Thanks in advance, guys!

The ICS roms for Fassy are pretty solid. I would consider them daily drivers. The biggest issue I've seen is that MMS is spotty sometimes. That was on Gummy 7.2. I have not run THS or AOKP. Hope that helps!

Alright, got all my files downloaded except the ROM itself. Looking at Gummy as the ROM, but will wait until it is finished being built from source. Seems the devs are working actively on it! :D

Upvote 0
Been thinking, it seems the ICS roms are still too young to be run on my co-worker's Fascinate. I know he's not going to want to put up with a bunch of bugs or "trade offs" for running ICS because he's not as into romming and such as I am, so having ICS doesn't mean much to him.

What is the stable and fast GB rom to run on the Fascinate? Any recommendations? Perhaps this can be his intro to rooting and romming and he'll become hooked and want to move to ICS later.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones