• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sony Google TV Live TV issue.

I just got the Sony Google TV set-top, picked this over the Logitech one because i thought the remote as a lot nicer and compact, and I didn't have a blu-ray player yet and figured this was as good a time as any to get one.

So far, I am in love with it. I can browse the net, watch ESPN3, have not tried hulu but I assume it will work.

Right now my only issue with it is watching Live tv. I have it set up with HDMI through my Comcast box (RNG110) and the picture is really small. When watching HD it puts two black bars on the size and shrinks it down so that it is still widescreen, but is very small with black bars on the sides and top (I can zoom in with my Comcast remote, it stretches up, but then the sides are blocked by the bars).

I realize this is new but I am hoping someone else has figured out why it does this. Hope someone can help. Sorry if it is hard to understand...hard to explain for me, heh.

Thanks.

EDIT: Seems to be set up only for SD, but it says it can playback HD in 1080p.

Right now my only issue with it is watching Live tv. I have it set up with HDMI through my Comcast box (RNG110) and the picture is really small. When watching HD it puts two black bars on the size and shrinks it down so that it is still widescreen, but is very small with black bars on the sides and top (I can zoom in with my Comcast remote, it stretches up, but then the sides are blocked by the bars).

I had the same issue when I set mine up. Comcast was only showing up in SD and in some cases, it was garbled and fragmented, with the audio breaking up. The solution for me was to unplug the Comcast box for a couple of minutes (really wait a couple of minutes too). I've not had a problem since, -- I'm getting full HD.

Upvote 0
Not sure about comcast but Dish Network control the DVR itself not the storage so the menu and deleting things is the same as using their remote. I assume it would be for this unit as well. In your original post you mentioned Hulu, no dice as of right now Hulu is blocking Google TV. With Pro being released today though you may see it soon.

Upvote 0
How do I setup my new Sony Google TV with Comcast SD set top box. I assumed it is going to to be straight forward and followed all the onscreen steps. But it failed to setup live video. All I can use it is like old TV. As of now it is setup with in built tuner and I can use it like old TVs where we set the TV channel to a number and use comcast remote to change channels.
Any help in resolving the issue(s) is appreciated.

Thanks
Sumit

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones