• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sooo I have an upgrade

Jul 22, 2010
Hey guys, I have an upgrade that was given to me around December, I have been saving it for around this time of the year, I currently have my DX with gingerbread, and the phone is FANTASTIC, but ever since I first got this phone (first day) I have missed one kinda big factor from my old phone (OG droid) the keyboard, to the point I kind of wanted to switch to the DROID 2 but I know I cant go back to a smaller screen, I am waiting for the release of the DROID 3 which I hear has a 4.0"+ screen AND a keyboard which sounds like dream phone for me, Is there anything out there that maybe I should wait for? Something better than Droid 3? We wont be getting 4G in our area anytime soon so it doesn't matter. The thunderbolt and bionic seems like the same phones different names (in my case with no 4G) than my DX. Any recommendations guys?

Sounds like you know what you want. I'd say unless you're considering jumping ship to a different carrier the D3 will be your best bet. If it does to the D2 what the D2 did to the D1 (crosseyed after that) then I'd expect it to be a pretty solid choice for someone who wants a keyboard.

Upvote 0
ehhh...if your wanting a physical keyboard i don't think there really is a lot of choices for you unfortunately. Unless the rumored HTC Merge ever actually makes it out.

If it were me i would probably save my upgrade till at least mid summer then see what was out there. Just don't keep doing the "oh i'm waiting for the next awesome device" game cause then you'll always be waiting.

Upvote 0
Honestly, my next phone must have screen resolution at least as good as the iPhone. I don't understand why HTC put out such a good with such an average screen. It's all about bucks, I guess.

The bionic will have the increased resolution, but will also have the locked bootloader. Now, having said that, if it the moto-blur with GB blur... it'll be amazing. I just can't make myself go over to the htc just because of the 4g over my DX. It's not enough of an upgrade for me.

Upvote 0
Bionic won't have a keyboard.

When is this D3 supposed to drop? It sounds like it has all the features you're looking for. And since there is nothing out on the market right now that matches your requirements, my guess is you should hold out until you can get what you really want.

No use getting something you don't really want when you're perfectly happy with what you have... right?

Upvote 0
Honestly, my next phone must have screen resolution at least as good as the iPhone. I don't understand why HTC put out such a good with such an average screen. It's all about bucks, I guess.

The bionic will have the increased resolution, but will also have the locked bootloader. Now, having said that, if it the moto-blur with GB blur... it'll be amazing. I just can't make myself go over to the htc just because of the 4g over my DX. It's not enough of an upgrade for me.

Totally agree about the screen. I've had an upgrade available since February, but the Tbolt has a very dim screen - I much prefer the brighter LCD on my DX. I REALLY like the sammy Samoled plus screens and may jump over the the SGS2 if it ever actually drops on Verizon. I hate wasting my upgrade and wasting my one year contract option, but the Tbolt just doesn't have a good enough LCD to make the switch right now IMHO.

Upvote 0
I was very impressed by the T-bolt in speed and was drooling over its unlocked bootloader... but when I gave the device a complete inspection & discovered it didn't have HDMI out I literally laughed out loud in amazement. IMO that's like developing a high end super car without offering a manual transmission.

Deal breaker city right there.

Reactions: ultradroid
Upvote 0
I ponied up for the hdmi cable for my DX, and to be honest I've used it maybe twice, and neither time for very long. It's a catch 22, if the movie I wanted to watch was of high enough quality to be enjoyed on the big screen the phone had trouble keeping up and the vid got a little choppy. If the quality was lower it played fine but wasn't enjoyable to watch. I don't do a ton of video recording from my phone either. So as cool as the feature seemed it isn't something I need in a phone. My laptop or netflix works just fine for these purposes.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, but what I meant was, the droid Bionic and Thunderbolt seem basically the same to me as my DX. I have no 4G in my area so what difference between by phone and those will there be? other than slightly better screen resolution/

The Thunderbolt has a bigger screen (4.3 in) than the Bionic (4.0 in), and the Thunderbolt runs an improved version of HTC Sense, while the Bionic runs the latest version of MotoBlur. I have the sister phone to the Thunderbolt - the HTC Inspire and it came with the same HTC Sense that ships with the T-Bolt. It's not bad, not bad at all. You may grow to like it enough to keep it, rather than rooting - but I rooted my phone within a week or so and now have a custom rom installed, without Sense. Finally, the Thunderbolt ships with a 16 GB microSD card, so you have quite a bit of storage space from the inception. You could of course just get the Bionic and purchase a 16 GB SD card for it, and they're not all that expensive, but it's inclusion in the Thunderbolt is a nice touch.

-Mike

Upvote 0
Rumor has it - or at least, I've read several places, that Verizon pulled the plug on the Motorola Bionic for reasons which aren't completely clear. Moto has, of course, no comment on the rumor making the rounds - borrowing perhaps from Mark Twain's line "Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated". Whatever - the Bionic which was previewed at that January show may never be released, and Verizon will probably instead release one of their other high end phones, warming up now, in the bullpen. :p

-Mike

Upvote 0
ehhh...if your wanting a physical keyboard i don't think there really is a lot of choices for you unfortunately. Unless the rumored HTC Merge ever actually makes it out.

If it were me i would probably save my upgrade till at least mid summer then see what was out there. Just don't keep doing the "oh i'm waiting for the next awesome device" game cause then you'll always be waiting.

+1. Best answer ever to the "which phone" question. There are seasons to these releases and I try to express this to people who ask, insisting that if they just hold off a month or two they will have much better technology to choose from instead of being stuck with an old device that's made even older by the fact that the newDinc model comes out a few weeks after they buy it.

Upvote 0
+1. Best answer ever to the "which phone" question. There are seasons to these releases and I try to express this to people who ask, insisting that if they just hold off a month or two they will have much better technology to choose from instead of being stuck with an old device that's made even older by the fact that the newDinc model comes out a few weeks after they buy it.

There's always a new phone coming out within a few months, if you wait for the next best phone that's just around the corner then you'll always be waiting.

Reactions: jreed2560
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones