• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

source code

ashimashi

Sep 15, 2011
So I keep hearing that the source code or something like that for the ice cream sandwich is out. What is that I don't get it?

I also read somewhere that there is also a new OS of 3.something that got released. Is this true?

I have the Samsung Galaxy S2, any new updates for it since the gingerbread?

The source code for ICS was made public, so now rom devs can start working to port it to the devices they work with to make ICS roms. Also OEM can start working to port it to the devices they made and skinning it to their custom UI. At this time there are a few phones with working ICS roms but no OTAs are available from any OEM yet.

I wouldn't expect to see any in the near future as there must be plenty of testing done to ensure the release is superior quality. Roms are released in alpha and beta stages so you could find roms out there if you are rooted that are almost completely working.

Upvote 0
Yes the release doesn't mean that much to a user other than knowing the OEM is working on an OTA for you. Samsung has said they will bring ICS to the SGSII but they have given no time frame. My advise would be if your phone is working properly right now and you can use it then enjoy it and when the OTA comes you know you will be able to enjoy the new features available :D

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones