• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Space Problem? Deleting Photos?

ShelaghDB

Jul 30, 2012
Toronto
Hi Kids.

Samsung S4
16 gigs I think it is but i have added a 32gig SD card

I am noticing as of late a few things.

1) Some of my photos are no longer visible but showing a greyish box, with a white sort of icon of a person, perhaps? And a black lightening bolt behind it.
But the picture itself has gone... and many are, about 20 with this black box repeated in each spot a photo was in
( i have them backed up elsewhere so not concerned bout the photo itself)

2) Occasionally I will click on the icon of an app that sort of looks like a Ghost image but nothing will work. I have to re-download it.

I get the feeling that nothing is going onto my 32 gig card at all so SHOULD I be putting any apps on the SD card in order to save space in the phone?
If so, are there certain apps that do better being in the phone than on the SD card?

I don't have any music on my phone but thought my photos were going onto the SD CARD but now i am not sure and haven't been able to locate the location they are supposed to be going into.........so wondering IF they are just sitting on the phone, rather than the 32gig SD card and this is leading to problems with missing app icons, missing photographs being replaced by these odd looking icons with lightening strikes?

Anyhow, is there a way to make sure ALL photos sit on the 32 gig SD card and if so, where for i can't find a spot in my settings that does that?

As well and this is a very important question, CAN I PUT ANY OF MY APPS on to the SD Card?
I have an app that lets me do so, one at a time if I so wish but I seem to remember someone telling me that creates problems if one does that????
(not sure if that is true or not?)

Thanking you all in advance!!!

If anyone does not know what I mean when describing the lightening bolts, etc that I am seeing just let me know and I will go upload a photo of them and place the link here .............

Ok, here is a photo of that icon I told you about.
I just deleted about 10 of them, so for everyone i deleted, there is a missing photo.

I should mention that I did format the SD card last week to see if there was something wrong with it and there wasn't.

The weird thing is, as i go through my gallery, on top of every photo are a bunch of options so if I want to email it to myself, delete, etc; but whoever this little icon shows up, IF i don't click on it really quickly, none of those at the top show up so I had to grab itv quickly in order to send it to my laptop so i could upload to a folder I have on the web.

This is just a screenshot of my browsing through my photos in Gallery, and the shots shown at the bottom, were thumbnails of this photo before and/or after this one

34hdfyb.jpg

Upvote 0
Ok, well if you say that happens when you do delete a photo, I can see that it could be that but why on earth would they have any icon there ?
It should just go from one working picture to the next picture but not have these in-between?
I have never seen that happen on any smart phone before and i had the Note 2 before this one and several iPhones before that and then 2 Blackberrys before all of those.......so if so, thats the strangest thing I have ever seen........

I still have the more important problem of having these apps of mine, occasionally between 1-3 will suddenly be a ghost image of sorts on my screen and if i press on it I can't access it and have to download it again.

I am under the impression although I might be wrong, that I am running out of space on the phone and for some reason nothing is being used on the SD card........could this not just be a lack of room problem left on the phone?

Thank you very much for your help so far.....

Upvote 0
I assume you are asking me the software behind the version?
In any event, all it says is Android Version 4.4.2

I think your mention of a Factory Reset is going to have to take place...

I suppose it is possible I have downloaded too many apps and I could afford to streamline the number if I do a factory reset............

Therefore you have just convinced me that that is really what i need to do.
Ive been thinking of rooting it but i have just been way to busy to look up how to do it.
Ive jailbroken many but i understand rooting is harder

So, I think I will just use this as an excuse to Factory reset as I think you were inadvertently right by asking and it needs to be done.
At which point I will see about rooting it and if i don't have time, I will at least limit the apps to only the ones I actually use.
There are several ones that are a great idea but i haven't got around to using them yet.....you know how it is Im sure :)

That little black icon thingie you say looks like a deleted photo may be true in other cases but I have deleted many a photo and never seen this before recently so no more guessing games, just gotta reset it.

Thanks a ton. You may not have set out to tell me to Factory reset it but as i said inadvertently you came up with the best idea so i will leave it at that and do it tomorrow

Thanks again, Cheers!!! :)

Upvote 0
If you do that, where does Samsung back it up to? A cloud somewhere?

I have an app I use to back up emails, contacts, SMS messages I wish to keep, as well emails I wish to keep, although I rarely wish to keep any of those.

So I have pressed the Samsung back up button on many an occasion, more likely when it pops up and tells me its time to back up but I haven't ever given it any thought as to where it was backing it up to.
If it were just backing it up on the phone that would be pointless as it would be deleted upon a reset.......

Upvote 0
Ahhh, now that i didn't know. Yes, I do have a google/gmail account.
Funnily enough i haven't ever noticed a back up on my account.

Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out. Going to check it out.

I have all Apple laptops, Apple TV and used to love iPhone but as far as phones go I prefer Android especially Samsung.
So I have so many other things backed up vis a vis Apple, I just haven't paid attention to where/what Samsung was backing up and where.

Gotta say I am pretty impressed with Samsung more and more and then I hear this, ab out it backing it up to Google and i hadn't any idea :)

I think in this case i will do a factory reset and start off with a clean phone again. I don't need to worry about my gigs and can afford to re-download all the apps again.

Thanks for ALL of your help. Its been quite enlightening!!! :)

Upvote 0
Hi Kids.

Samsung S4
16 gigs I think it is but i have added a 32gig SD card

I am noticing as of late a few things.

1) Some of my photos are no longer visible but showing a greyish box, with a white sort of icon of a person, perhaps? And a black lightening bolt behind it.
But the picture itself has gone... and many are, about 20 with this black box repeated in each spot a photo was in
( i have them backed up elsewhere so not concerned bout the photo itself)

2) Occasionally I will click on the icon of an app that sort of looks like a Ghost image but nothing will work. I have to re-download it.

I get the feeling that nothing is going onto my 32 gig card at all so SHOULD I be putting any apps on the SD card in order to save space in the phone?
If so, are there certain apps that do better being in the phone than on the SD card?

I don't have any music on my phone but thought my photos were going onto the SD CARD but now i am not sure and haven't been able to locate the location they are supposed to be going into.........so wondering IF they are just sitting on the phone, rather than the 32gig SD card and this is leading to problems with missing app icons, missing photographs being replaced by these odd looking icons with lightening strikes?

Anyhow, is there a way to make sure ALL photos sit on the 32 gig SD card and if so, where for i can't find a spot in my settings that does that?

As well and this is a very important question, CAN I PUT ANY OF MY APPS on to the SD Card?
I have an app that lets me do so, one at a time if I so wish but I seem to remember someone telling me that creates problems if one does that????
(not sure if that is true or not?)

Thanking you all in advance!!!

If anyone does not know what I mean when describing the lightening bolts, etc that I am seeing just let me know and I will go upload a photo of them and place the link here .............

I have seen this before usually it's one of two things. ....... Either a photo format that's common enough for your phone to recognize that it's a photo but can't open it because you don't have the software to do so. Or you deleted the main location of the picture thru what I call a back door route instead of thru gallery. Just like when on a computer you delete the software for a shortcut but dont delete the shortcut. The OS still tries to send you to the location yet its not there.

Reactions: ShelaghDB
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones