Speech to text keeps blocking my swear words even though the appropriate box is unticked. Any ideas?Support

1. sandwichpolice

sandwichpolice New Member

Galaxy S4

Android 4.2.2

Language and input screen: I have Google voice typing and Swiftkey checked. Under Google voice typing, I have unchecked the "block offensive words" box.

It happens in both Handcent and the stock messaging app.

Advertisement
  2. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues - Crazy peacock person - Guide

Hi there, sandwichpolice. Welcome to Android Forums. :)

I'm moving this to the Galaxy S4 forum; it'll get a lot more exposure there from people who are familiar with your same device.
  3. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

My GUESS is that it won't speech-to-text words that are not in your dictionary. Try adding your favorite swear word to the dictionary and then see if it will recognize it.
  4. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

I can't help but I've just spent a few entertaining minutes playing around with this.

Strangely, while it blocks the common swear words, there are some such as "wanker" that it doesn't block even though that's pretty rude in English. I presume that Google's US centric view means that typical English swear words are not spotted whereas the American English ones are.

I'm so childish tee hee hee.
  5. Benrx

Benrx Well-Known Member

It is a setting. Go to Settings > My Device> Language and Input> and then click on the setting icon (gear thing) beside Google Voice Typing

I found it by mistake one time.
  6. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

There's another swear filter in the Google Now settings. See if unticking that one helps.
  7. scott_

scott_ Well-Known Member

One sure fire solution is to not swear in the 1st place..............but to each their own.;)
  8. schpoink

schpoink Member

Adding the salty words to the personal dictionary solved the problem for me
    on a Galaxy S4 using Google Voice Typing....

Settings -> My device -> Language and Input -> Google Voice Typing (hit gear for those settings) -> Uncheck "Block Offensive Words"

Then:

Settings -> My device -> Language and Input ->Personal Dictionaries -> "English (United States)" [in my case] -> Click the Plus + sign on top bar -> Enter the phrase of your choice