• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

sillymellon

Lurker
Aug 24, 2010
Hello World. Just got my new phone a week ago. The only thing that I don't like is, "Self, why didn't I get this earlier." Amazing !!!!! My first smart phone..

Anyway, I write because I have found some speech recognition software, but it seems to only come on sometimes for replies to text.

What apps and internal speech technologies are available to speak new text messages?

Thanks in advance,
James

Hello James
In response to your post. There are a couple of good programs for "Voice2Text". However, they still have yet to put out a good "Text2Speech" program that I know of, and have been looking for.

1. Google Search - was just updated and works pretty well for some folk, but its a "Voice Command" like program. (Free)
2. Vlingo - another "Voice Command program" with limited "Text2Speech", meaning it will read your emails and SMS's, but only the first few lines of it, not the whole thing. I paided $9.99 for this program, but when Google updated its program Vlingo started giving the program away for free. I'm guessing to compete. Hope this little bit of info gets you started on the right path to finding what your looking for.
Good luck

Upvote 0
Hi there,

After lots of research I can now use speech to text for SMS emails on my HTC Desire.

You need to download Vlingo (free) from a site I eventually found.

Took some time, but it works really well if you don't want to type messages all the time. The Vlingo keypad replaces the original HTC keyboard and has the mic symbol on the bottom left. Just press and talk, then it types.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones