• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
can we get a section for more sports like hockey or basketball? you can even put soccer(i hate soccer) as well.
or at least allow us to post just in the sports section.
All of the other sports that have threads are merged under the MLB link. It will take some considerable work to sort and organize them. They deserve links of their own. I know it isn't a priority but I sure hope it's part of the master plan. Sports threads have always been important and heavily contributed to here.

Upvote 0
All of the other sports that have threads are merged under the MLB link. It will take some considerable work to sort and organize them. They deserve links of their own. I know it isn't a priority but I sure hope it's part of the master plan. Sports threads have always been important and heavily contributed to here.
so if i wanted to start a thread on the NHL, i would have to do it in the MLB forum?

• Haha
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
so if i wanted to start a thread on the NHL, i would have to do it in the MLB forum?
That's where all of the other sport threads ended up. Basketball, golf, college football, etc. I don't think it was by design... but the result of making NFL a linked category. The easy fix now would be renaming MLB to Other Sports. Not ideal but would be much as it was before the changes began.

As I recall, the old header was Sports. (my memory isn't good :)) The active sports threads stayed at the top. MLB and NFL were always the most active. It would be sweet to have links to the major sports but dumping it all back under a common link would work... it worked in the past.

But to answer your question as a fellow member with zero say on forum organization, if I wanted to start a thread on NHL I would create it in MLB. It makes no sense but that's where all of the non NFL threads reside.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the sports section is kind of jacked up at the moment. Plus, I'm noticing some of the tech brands forums haven't had some posts in almost 10 years, might be time to delete those brands altogether. I'm sure @Rob will get this cleaned up as time goes on.

Oh, and Rule # 138 section B article 2 of AF, no hockey threads. Thank you.

Upvote 0
I'm noticing some of the tech brands forums haven't had some posts in almost 10 years
A couple thoughts:
  • AF was always oriented around "Devices" rather than "Brands" which is largely why they're empty
  • I haven't deleted those altogether because I think today's gadget enthusiasts are brand driven. Rather than caring about the "Samsung Galaxy Z Fold" in particular, people may care about all the new Samsung phones.
  • Should they have their own forums though? Probably not- it should just be one of the filterable options within the forums (probably a prefix but possibly a custom field or some other solution)
  • Keeping those brand channels around is a reminder to transform them into a more usable alternative
  • The "Carriers" section faces a similar challenge
My thinking is that, in the future:
  • Forums are Product Types (ex: Smartphones)
  • Devices are Channels (ex: Galaxy S24)
  • Manufacturers are prefixes (ex: Samsung)
  • Carriers are prefixes (ex: Verizon)
This way you could make a very specific post about any combination of those elements and always be able to put it in the proper place without any overlap. The one issue would be if you're deciding between a phone or tablet or something like that...

I think this would be a better way to organize things, but I'm still thinking about other similar challenges, most notably:
  • Content by platform (Android, iOS, Windows, etc..)
  • Apps & Games (in addition to platform)
Happy to hear feedback and alternative ideas on this!

PS: Wow, I said "a couple thoughts" and then wrote a book lol! Sowwy!

Upvote 0
can we get a section for more sports like hockey or basketball? you can even put soccer(i hate soccer) as well.
or at least allow us to post just in the sports section.
Yep, I can map out this area however you'd like!

When the plan was to move to Daily.net it seemed like a forum for each sport made a lot of sense. Right now, I think we're going to limit the bulk of the site's focus on tech, so might make more sense to consolidate back into 1 sports forum. However, I'm going to leave it 100% up to you. At least for now. Until I change my mind again lol...

How do you want it?

Upvote 0
It would be way sweet if the major sports had their own area. They should be labeled just as ocn posted above. Most of the major sport have both professional and college levels with a following. Dividing pro from amateur is too watered down in my opinion. The "other" sport area is needed for there are many sports and followers. Tennis, Golf, Olympics could have an area of their own. It is all subjective to the sport's fan. I follow the three additional sports mentioned for I'm a fan. However, I think they belong in the "Other" area.

To avoid the headache of filtering and sorting the different sports, a one inclusive header (Sports) is what we had and it worked for the most part. Active threads kept the current sport towards to top.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones