Sprint Car Charger Issues

Last Updated:

1. pierceNKC

pierceNKC Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has anybody had issues with this? I've had my Hero for a week, and I purchased a Sprint car charger for it. It was working fine until today. It seems that the connection is a bit off...the phone has to be laying down in the passenger seat to charge. When I pick it up or move it around, it doesn't charge. Is this going to cause problems down the road? And why would it be doing this after only a week???

Advertisement
  2. kdh77

kdh77 Active Member

Could be a bad Mini-USB jack. I had that same problem with my Touch.

3. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

Is the connection between the charger and the phone solid? Is where the charger plugs into the socket a good fit? Otherwise, I would take the car charger back to Sprint for a replacement, could be a bad connecton in the wire of the charger.

4. pierceNKC

its just the car charger im having problems with...the phone is hooked to my pc now via usb, and its charging just fine.

i just don't understand why it would work fine for a week and then do this...hopefully its not messing up anything on the interior of my little baby!

5. pierceNKC

anybody?

6. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch! Moderator

It's just a defective charger. I had one last a year, then the identical charger that replaced it only lasted a week.

7. MadBrown

MadBrown Well-Known Member

Yeah, that charger is awful. What I really don't like about it is the end that plugs into the phone is perpendicular.

I'm considering going with a straight-ended charger, maybe one of the BlackBerry ones since they have the same connector.

8. hempwallace

hempwallace Well-Known Member

I use the BB car charger that I got several years ago for my first Curve. Be careful when you get one though as the newer models have gone to a micro plug instead of the the mini.

9. SamuraiBigEd

Did you get the combo charger? It can be used as a car or home charger.

10. DLM

DLM Well-Known Member

OMG, this has been a constant issue with me too, they replace it for free but it is annoying. Mine breaks every few weeks since I got the phone, I have had 5 of them. I do nothing more than charge it and put it on my seat or cupholder or dashboard. I dont mess with it, pull it or articulate it excessively. No other cable has an issue so its not the phone and I have swapped the phone twice already due to resetting issues so its not the phone. WTF? I think its a future known problem that hasn't been deemed as such yet!

11. tazcollins

tazcollins Well-Known Member

I got an htc OEM car charger off eBay for $19.95. Works great and the end lights up in blue htc. However it does not have the newer propritary mini usb plug. I was told htc does not make these any more and it was before they went to that plug. Anyone know anything different about it? TC

12. jamesdal1

jamesdal1 Member

i have a cigarette usb adaptor, i can plug any usb type cable and i'm fine, costs me $4. I just plug my cable and into the phone and hav no problems.

13. Maipuwebo

Maipuwebo Member

I'm on my third as well on two different Hero's.

14. DLM

DLM Well-Known Member

doesn't make the fact that I spent $35 on a car charger, that consistently breaks, better.

15. SamuraiBigEd

Which charger did you get, the combo that does 110 and 12 volt? That is what I have had for over a year and it works perfectly. Didn't cost $35 either.

16. redandblack1287

redandblack1287 Well-Known Member

Definitely -1 for the Sprint charger... I got one off of ebay for like $6 and it was DoA. I could only get ONE phone (that had to be positioned perfectly) to charge.

Never, ever, for any reason buy any kind of accessory from a Sprint store, no matter what. Even if its a good product, you're paying probably 500% of the price you could get it anywhere on the internet.

17. DLM

DLM Well-Known Member

this one

Attached Files:

18. SamuraiBigEd

This is the one to get, does car and home. Mine is over a year old and still works great. It is called a Double Talk Charger.

Attached Files:

19. Warrior 3000

Warrior 3000 Well-Known Member

i have the SAME problem. iv been using the car charger for months now. up until about 2 weeks back it stopped working. it only works when the wire is held a certain way. all i did was tape it still in the way it would charge. problem fixed ! =)

20. Syphon

Syphon Well-Known Member

I have the same one and the same problem. Luckly I got mine for free from Sprint so no complaints on it.

21. DLM

DLM Well-Known Member

yea well, I got customer care to give me a credit for it today as the store would only swap it out, so I got a new one that will eventually break, that I won't use and I am going to bill one now to replace it with one of the new ones they have listed on the site.

22. mozman

mozman Member

For those who have a good working car charger, please share where and how much you got. I'm looking to buy one now but not spend $$$$ for it. Anything good in the $10 range or cheaper???

23. mlblack16

mlblack16 Well-Known Member

Same here. The sellers play around with the prices, but then you have to look at the S&H charges to see your total investment. I got mine for pretty much the same price.

For those of you buying your stuff from Sprint stores, especially if its not a corporate store, that equipment is sometimes JUNK. I was afraid the el cheapo I had was going to damage my phone because it started acting flaky, so I figured an actual htc branded oem would do the trick. So far, it works perfect.

24. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

Just an FYI...If you have a Garmin GPS, the car charger from many Garmins will also work on your Hero.

25. joseamirandavelez

joseamirandavelez Well-Known Member

Any USB charger will work. Just make sure the output voltage is 5.0V. More than that will break the phone.