• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint/Cricket] Samsung Galaxy S3 OTA Update Aborted-Rooted Device

eliteo

Lurker
Oct 7, 2012
Sorry if this was posted already on the forums, I'm new here and I couldn't find anything in the search. Please bare with me too as I'm new to the forums and the rooted phone world lol.

Anyways, I got a notification on my phone this morning that it has an update. I hit install and while it was trying to install, it aborted and all I had left to do was to reboot. After rebooting it, I went to see if I can get the update again, went to software updates to check it, and it says my device is up to date when obviously it's not and I'm worried I just got screwed out of an update. (Possibly Jelly Bean too.) :/ I then realized, being new to this rooting stuff, that I can't install OTA updates on a rooted phone. I did some searching but I can't find any good answers to help me out and I was wondering if you guys could help me out? I have the sprint Galaxy S3 rooted using Odin. I just need help with getting the software update again so I can have it to install.. And once I get it.. is there anyway I can install it on my phone while it's rooted without it failing?

Again, I apologize if this has been asked already, I probably should of thought twice about updating on a rooted phone lol.

Thanks in advanced!

Hi eliteo, and welcome to AF :)

As you say, OTA updates on a rooted phone are not a good idea. Generically the 2 solutions are to unroot (revert to stock), accept the update, then re-root, or to install a custom ROM based on the new updated version. But the specifics of this depend on the phone, and since I don't have one of these I can't really advise on the details. Hence I've moved the thread to the Sprint S3 All Things Root forum, and I'm sure the good folk here will be able to help you out.

Good luck,
Hadron

Upvote 0
Sorry if this was posted already on the forums, I'm new here and I couldn't find anything in the search. Please bare with me too as I'm new to the forums and the rooted phone world lol.

Anyways, I got a notification on my phone this morning that it has an update. I hit install and while it was trying to install, it aborted and all I had left to do was to reboot. After rebooting it, I went to see if I can get the update again, went to software updates to check it, and it says my device is up to date when obviously it's not and I'm worried I just got screwed out of an update. (Possibly Jelly Bean too.) :/ I then realized, being new to this rooting stuff, that I can't install OTA updates on a rooted phone. I did some searching but I can't find any good answers to help me out and I was wondering if you guys could help me out? I have the sprint Galaxy S3 rooted using Odin. I just need help with getting the software update again so I can have it to install.. And once I get it.. is there anyway I can install it on my phone while it's rooted without it failing?

Again, I apologize if this has been asked already, I probably should of thought twice about updating on a rooted phone lol.

Thanks in advanced!

I'm assuming you're stock right now? If so you can flash the latest stock rooted OTA (LI3) over top your current set up just by wiping cache and dalvik-cache. No need to wipe data or factory reset since it's an official update.

Go to this link [ROM] LI3 Sprint Official Stock Rooted OTA and download the LI3 odex (because the stock is odex) and the Full Firmware All-In-One (it includes the new radio and other 'techy' stuff, lol) that go with the LI3 update.

Boot into recovery, do a nandroid backup (always a good idea just in case), wipe cache and dalvik-cache, flash the LI3 zip, then flash the all-in-one zip, reboot and enjoy.

No data or settings should be erased if you DO NOT wipe data or factory reset.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones