• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sprint Galaxy S3 charges very slowly.

Ferkhat

Lurker
Jun 20, 2013
First of all I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong forum section or if this problem has been solved in another thread.
I come here with a problem with my Galaxy S3 phone. Normally it took the phone around 2 to 3 hours to fully charge itself but now it barely charges 20% in about 2 hours.
Here's what I have done:
- Replaced the battery with my brothers S3, but the problem still persists.
- Used 3 different chargers, but the problem still persists.
- Reset the phone, still no change.
- Tried charging my own battery with my own charger on my brothers phone, and his phone charged the battery normally without any problems.
- Transferred files between my computer and the phone via a USB cable and everything worked fine. (This was done to test the functionality of the micro-USB port on my phone.)
I had nothing else left to do and I went to the local Sprint store to get my phone checked out. My phone is still under warranty and has a Total Equipment Protection. The guy there took my phone and used his charger to charge my phone. We waited 10 minutes and the phone charged only 1%. The repair guy assumed it worked fine and gave me back my phone and I couldn't persuade him that my phone charged abnormally.
I have visited these forums a lot to get help on my phone and believe it or not it has helped me a lot! But unfortunately I couldn't find a solution for this specific problem. You're assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hello Ferkhat. Welcome to AF and I'm sorry you are having charging problems. You might try to recall if you installed an app about the same time that the charging problems started. If so, you can uninstall the app and see if it was the culprit. The only time I had charging problems it took a factory reset to set things right. It was a pain to do but it was the fix for my charging woes and it increased the over all speed of my phone. I hope another has a suggestion for you. Best of luck and thanks for joining the community.

Upvote 0
Have you tried to blow out the usb port with some "air in a can"?
Funny I should see this thread, as just not 2 hours ago, my daughter texts me with the exact same issue on her S3.
Now I have to trouble shoot hers when she gets home tomorrow night :rolleyes:
She is unrooted on Verizon...phone is only about 2 months old...we shall see.

I'll post back with what I find on hers, but yours may be a different animal as you have tried different cords/chargers/batteries/factory reset/etc. ya know?

When you plug it in, does the cord feel like a solid connection? As in, not excessively loose?

Upvote 0
My phone charges slowly only in the car and computer...plug it in a house outlet...pretty fast...

The phone has two preset max currents that it will draw depending on what kind of charger it detects, 1A from an AC charger, much less for USB (cant remember what it is but think its like 400mA) :thumbup:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones