• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Sprint] Kernels

MizzouBrent

Android Expert
Feb 13, 2011
Olathe, KS
In an effort to stir up conversation on here, the most amazing thing about the Gnex is the ridiculous amount of kernels we have to choose from. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but all kernels will work across toro, toropolus and maguro. My top ones are

1) Franco (my personal fave ATM)
2) AK (in the plain ol' Gnex subforum on xda...not in the sprint section)
3) Trinity - love the colors, performs great on my phone
4) Air
5) Lean

Plus there are tons more. Faux has a kernel that is stock and a second version that's stock with some tweaks. Jame Bond, FuguMod, INK.

Anybody had especially good luck with anything?

Great topic Mizzou! There are still many kernels I haven't tried yet....Fugumod, Air (tried once but didn't boot so never got to really try it), Faux, INK, James Bond, and I'm sure there are more I'm missing. Cool thing about the kernels on our device is that they're all great in their own regard! I would also like to hear other AF member's feedback on their kernel experiences and what runs great on their device.

Upvote 0
Stock kernel on RUJellin was the best battery life and smooth performance for me. On team EOS and Purely Android, I use Lean exp 180. My phone likes Lean. Haven't tried any others. I look for deep sleep, good battery with no lag or stuttering, just subjective to me - don't do any testing except cpu spy for deep sleep.
Been tempted to try Franco but got a bit put off by a tweaks app of the same name - did bizarre things to my headphones... So I stayed away from the kernel..

Upvote 0
I'm running the Franco Milestone 5 with CNA 3.6.

Running pretty well. Haven't really given it time to set yet but we'll see. I do have to say that I was doing better battery wise with the EVO LTE.
Although I'm letting Google Now run.

I've got the Air Kernel running with BB4 on the Nexus S. I can't belive how well that thing sleeps. BMW shows it at -3 ma draw. Crazy.
I'll probably try that one next.

I like this phone a lot though. But I'm going off topic.

Naters

Upvote 0
Does the Kernel make a huge difference in the phone seeming to run hot?

Currently on CNA 3.6 w/ Franco 5 and the min is at 230mhz with max 1036 and Deadline governor on BFQ.

Default Voltage settings.

While browsing the playstore today for 10-15 minutes, with Pandora streaming on 3G, Battery monitor widget says the battery temp is up to 113 F. It goes up quickly it seems. Will different kernels help with that or is that more the CPU while pulling data?

I'm not sure if BMW is totally accurate but the phone felt hot. What would you guys consider too hot? I usually put it down when it gets close to 110 f.

Oh as a side point- The Playstore has Nova launcher listed as one of the 25 cent apps today.:D
I hope Apex is tomorrow!

Naters

Upvote 0
Yeah picking up Nova was great because I almost bought it earlier in the day for $4. I will say that I have noticed some cases of my phone running pretty hot, but with my combo of blackbean and the latest franco nightly, I have not noticed it nearly as much as of late. I would recommend giving that combo a try. Blackbean has a lot of stuff inverted, and from what I understand, on our super amoled screens, this will save battery. BB has a ton of customization options....similar to aokp almost. And a new version just dropped yesterday.

Reactions: NaterTots
Upvote 0
The other night while on Air I woke up to the BSoD. According to the battery widget it was fin from 10pm -2 am. Then it just shows no records.

I ended up pulling the battery. (is there a button push to reset it?)
I didn't have any weird UV going on. I dropped the 230 and 350 setting by 25mv to the 900 range I think and that was it.

So I updated CNA from 3.6 - 3.6.6 and am running the stock Faux kernel on it. Which has 350mhz as a minimum. I'll give it a couple of days.

Upvote 0
I love me some Franco..I've tried just about all the kernel you listed in op but keep coming back to Franco...this gnexus is amazing..No need to under clock or volt as it seems the phone will find its own sweet spot...running the latest Franco nightly at 230_1228, 512 gpu interactive i can get no less than 2.30 screen time on WiFi...at least 2 hrs 3/4g

Upvote 0
The other night while on Air I woke up to the BSoD. According to the battery widget it was fin from 10pm -2 am. Then it just shows no records.

I ended up pulling the battery. (is there a button push to reset it?)
I didn't have any weird UV going on. I dropped the 230 and 350 setting by 25mv to the 900 range I think and that was it.

So I updated CNA from 3.6 - 3.6.6 and am running the stock Faux kernel on it. Which has 350mhz as a minimum. I'll give it a couple of days.

I think if you under volt at all, you run the risk.

Reactions: NaterTots
Upvote 0
I love me some Franco..I've tried just about all the kernel you listed in op but keep coming back to Franco...this gnexus is amazing..No need to under clock or volt as it seems the phone will find its own sweet spot...running the latest Franco nightly at 230_1228, 512 gpu interactive i can get no less than 2.30 screen time on WiFi...at least 2 hrs 3/4g

I'm seeing about the same. I think the 4.1.2 updated ROMs are easier on battery than the 4.1.1 ROMs.

Upvote 0
I've been on Franco, Air, Samurai, Lean and FuguMod all within the last week. I honestly can't say what has given me the best battery life because I can almost never allow anything the time to settle. I miss the days of the OG Evo and having the option of the stock kernel or the Freedom kernel and having to live with it. Or Tiamat or SavagedZen. Well not really, but it certainly helped with not flashing so much.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones