• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Sprint] Question Regarding Evo Replacement with Asurion/Sprint

My cousin's Evo's charging port broke (they said that the motherboard detached from the charging port) about a week ago and she called in and got a replacement. She kept asking me whether or not she'd have to pay for the replacement because technically it's not her fault that her charging port broke and it's a common issue amongst other Evo owners. So I told her that she wouldn't have to pay anything.

She called them tonight and they said that she would get a replacement Evo (well they don't have any more Evo 4G's so she'll be getting the Evo 3D) and she'll have to pay a deductible of $100 come next payment.

Is that correct that she shouldn't have to pay? Or is it correct that she should have to pay? I don't want her to get ripped off. She and her mom are fine with it but I don't want them getting ripped off if she could save $100.

What have your experiences been like? It was my notion that if the problem wasn't caused by you, as the user, like the screen getting cracked or dropping it or hacking it, that you wouldn't be charged anything for a replacement.

My cousin's Evo's charging port broke (they said that the motherboard detached from the charging port) about a week ago and she called in and got a replacement. She kept asking me whether or not she'd have to pay for the replacement because technically it's not her fault that her charging port broke and it's a common issue amongst other Evo owners. So I told her that she wouldn't have to pay anything.

She called them tonight and they said that she would get a replacement Evo (well they don't have any more Evo 4G's so she'll be getting the Evo 3D) and she'll have to pay a deductible of $100 come next payment.

Is that correct that she shouldn't have to pay? Or is it correct that she should have to pay? I don't want her to get ripped off. She and her mom are fine with it but I don't want them getting ripped off if she could save $100.

What have your experiences been like? It was my notion that if the problem wasn't caused by you, as the user, like the screen getting cracked or dropping it or hacking it, that you wouldn't be charged anything for a replacement.
Once the manufacturer (1-year) warranty runs out, the TEP deductible applies to any/all replacements, as far as I know. I have heard of people getting free replacements for "known" issues (whatever that means), but I've been told by CSRs that the USB port not working is considered physical damage, and is covered under the regular insurance. Which means you have to pay the deductible. Honestly, $100 for an EVO 3D without having to extend your contract is a pretty good deal.

Reactions: ndh777
Upvote 0
Once the manufacturer (1-year) warranty runs out, the TEP deductible applies to any/all replacements, as far as I know. I have heard of people getting free replacements for "known" issues (whatever that means), but I've been told by CSRs that the USB port not working is considered physical damage, and is covered under the regular insurance. Which means you have to pay the deductible. Honestly, $100 for an EVO 3D without having to extend your contract is a pretty good deal.

I agree lol but if she doesn't have to pay, I don't want her to have to pay.

Okay, thanks for the info! Makes more sense. That would make sense after the 1 year warranty too. Just trying to make sure plus I want to know for future reference so I don't get mad at a rep because I thought they were in the wrong lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones